Horrible customer service in certain banks

I’ve had pretty good service from Huanan Bank and Bank of Overseas Chinese; I’m currently only using Huanan, and am very happy with their service. The other ones I’ve used (which have been mentioned here) suck bigtime…

Just like Joy and Jordan, it varies from branch to branch. When I wanted to open an account, I walked into Chinatrust in Sanchong (yes, betel-nut spat,shat, provincial Sanchong) and asked to open one. The woman behind the counter giggled and ran away. Within a minute two officious-looking managers appeared flanked by two security guards and demanded in stern tones my purpose in their bank. When I told them that I wanted to open an account they seemed relieved and dismissed the guards. After that, it was plain sailing. Show salary statement and passport, fill in a form (in Chinese) which the manager did for me. Got offered credit cards ad nauseum which I declined. 40 minutes finished. Been with them for 7 years and never the remotest hiccup. Efficient and polite. But as I said, such treatment is entirely random and dependent on the branch, mood of the teller/manager, and location.

I have my account at Chinatrust. When I signed up for the account I received my ATM card about a week before flying to Canada. When I arrived I realized I couldn’t use my card in any ogf the Canadian machines since only Taiwan has so many digits in their security pins. Canada only accepts four. I spent the whole trip getting money deposited into my parents account. When I came I went to the bank and the said “oh yes, to use this card internationally we also need to set up a four digit pin. Ooops, did we not do that for you?”

I also wanted to open a second account but was told that was not allowed in Taiwan. One account, one bank. True? and if so, why?

Let me ask a bank-related question to this active thread: Are we foreigners allowed to keep our Taiwan bank accounts after we leave Taiwan, when we have no ARC?

[quote=“piwackit”]I have my account at Chinatrust. When I signed up for the account I received my ATM card about a week before flying to Canada. When I arrived I realized I couldn’t use my card in any ogf the Canadian machines since only Taiwan has so many digits in their security pins. Canada only accepts four. I spent the whole trip getting money deposited into my parents account. When I came I went to the bank and the said “oh yes, to use this card internationally we also need to set up a four digit pin. Ooops, did we not do that for you?”

I also wanted to open a second account but was told that was not allowed in Taiwan. One account, one bank. True? and if so, why?[/quote]

Not true, unless it’s Chinatrust or your Chinabank branch’s policy.

I had three NT$ and one US$ account at Chang Hua Bank at the same time.

Also, have you ever stood behind another customer who is updating a stack of passbooks? Sure, it’s possible that each passbook belongs to someone else in his or her family, but I think it’s more likely that that customer has several accounts at the same bank.

A few years ago, I left Taiwan for 6 months, leaving my account open. I told the bank that I was leaving Taiwan for up to a year, but I would be back. No problem.

Of course while I was gone, my ARC expired. When I returned to Taiwan, I used my savings in that account to live off of until I found a new job and got a new ARC.