Hot Diggity Dog: ABC Files Discrimination Charge Against Kindy

The rules that the school is supposed to follow are just another form of racism, is what I’m saying. Because of his ethnicity, he legally gets to apply for this position whereas a white person in similar circumstances would not be able to. The fact that the school refused him based on his ethnicity is also racism, it’s just not legally sanctioned racism.

The rules that the school is supposed to follow are just another form of racism, is what I’m saying. Because of his ethnicity, he legally gets to apply for this position whereas a white person in similar circumstances would not be able to. The fact that the school refused him based on his ethnicity is also racism, it’s just not legally sanctioned racism.[/quote]

Put it this way: the rules/laws were meant to remove the “NO CHINESE” enforcement during kindy’s English sessions and hence the illegality of hiring foreigners. However, they (as in the dolts who wrote the code) failed to realize that ABC/ABT should be a part of this since they probably don’t speak a word of Mandarin Chinese or have pretty limited Mandarin Chinese knowledge (and hence they can still enforce the “NO CHINESE” rule since they can’t respond to the students in Mandarin). ABC/T, if you didn’t know, can apply for a national ID if one of their parents is a ROC citizen. Who says you can’t work at a Kindy with a national ID? English? No law is against folks with national ID teaching ABC alphabets.

Racism? Nah, it’s protectionism from outsourcing :discodance:

Umm…me no understand. He needs a job. He applies for a buxiban English teaching job thinking he’s a native English speaker. He got rejected cuz he looks like one of them. How is he taking advantage of this situation?

Enlighten me.[/quote]

Damn those Taiwanese. Trying to steal jobs from us foreigners. :whistle:[/quote]

Yeah, it’s like Lakshimi being pissed off that Joe Six Pack is getting the Senior SW Engineering position :discodance:

The rules that the school is supposed to follow are just another form of racism, is what I’m saying. Because of his ethnicity, he legally gets to apply for this position whereas a white person in similar circumstances would not be able to. The fact that the school refused him based on his ethnicity is also racism, it’s just not legally sanctioned racism.[/quote]

Not True! Us whitey’s who are married to Taiwanese or have an APRC could also work at the Kindy according to the article in the Taipei Times.
He’s ethnically Chinese and is here under a “law of return” kind of thing. Whether or not you think that’s fair, it’s a separate issue.

Not True! Us whitey’s who are married to Taiwanese or have an APRC could also work at the Kindy according to the article in the Taipei Times.
He’s ethnically Chinese and is here under a “law of return” kind of thing. Whether or not you think that’s fair, it’s a separate issue.[/quote]

He gets to apply for the job without being married to a Taiwanese or having an APRC, thus it’s different for him. Why? As you said, because of his ethnicity. The school instituted another type of racism than the law’s racism, which I find ironic. But it’s always been rackets within/against other rackets, legal and otherwise. Though I’ve never been involved in that industry, it’s generally how things work.

[quote=“Poagao”]

He gets to apply for the job without being married to a Taiwanese or having an APRC, thus it’s different for him. Why? As you said, because of his ethnicity. The school instituted another type of racism than the law’s racism, which I find ironic. But it’s always been rackets within/against other rackets, legal and otherwise. Though I’ve never been involved in that industry, it’s generally how things work.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s true. But I signed a life time contract with Taiwanese and that gave me permission to work and all that based on her race. I’m also a member of an other group that enjoys a similar type of law that this person does so I can’t protest on that note.

Is there an industry in Taiwan that’s not a racket? You’ve made it to full equal rights under your own effort. You are a hero. Now, where’s you book in English?! Do you still own the text? How much would it cost translate it into English already. Self publish. I’ll pay on to three hundred for it. Sorry off topic but the selection of books about life in Taiwan from a foreigners point of view is pretty thin.

He’s ethnically Chinese and is here under a “law of return” kind of thing. Whether or not you think that’s fair, it’s a separate issue.[/quote]

There might be an issue if one or both of his parents are mainlanders (a true ABC). He might not be able to afford a national ID.

I can see flying bottles coming from the other side of the strait towards me…

He gets to apply for the job without being married to a Taiwanese or having an APRC, thus it’s different for him. Why? As you said, because of his ethnicity. The school instituted another type of racism than the law’s racism, which I find ironic. But it’s always been rackets within/against other rackets, legal and otherwise. Though I’ve never been involved in that industry, it’s generally how things work.[/quote]

I personally find this sentence in the English article confusing: “Chang has lineal relatives living in the country and it is therefore not illegal for him to work as a kindergarten English teacher, they said.”

That sentence is total bullshit and can be smelled from afar. By stating that, it means that all mainlanders can work in Taiwan as they can establish lineal relationship with the folks who jumped ship with CKS (or their descendants if they’re all dead).

Without that sentence, I think we can remove all confusions and simply state that Mr. Chang does have or can apply for a ROC citizenship without getting this racism conversation involved. If you got a ROC national ID, who cares if you’re a Chinese or Somali descendant…you are eligible to apply for the Kindy morning English teaching job (no ands, ifs, or buts).