Hot mustard (French Dijon style, or German)

BTW;
All of the DIY baking stores, do a search, have Dijon and other mustards that you may desire. Get on the scoot and go take a look. Seek and you will find.

CitySuper still has a huge selection of mustard and I’m happy to report that they got the nice sweet wholegrain German stuff back in stock :thumbsup:

Yesss! Thanks for the info, we are in for another white sausage breakfast at my company soon, then :slight_smile:

Colman’s is available at City Super. It’s pretty hot, much hotter than Maille (though I wouldn’t call it “blazing” or “searing” unles syou put a huge dollop on your tongue). One thing I often do is to take my Extra Strong Dijon (available at City Super or Breeze) and mix in some Colmans, which gives a really good Dijon flavor but with some real bite.

Another option is to buy tube wasabi and mix it with Dijon or any other standard mustard, it adds a kick that makes almost any dish wonderful. You can even mix wasabi with that most terrible of “mustards”, French’s Yellow, to make a passable backup when nothing else is around (otherwise, the only thing French’s Yellow is useful for is removal of foot and ass fungus).

I will bring back some spicy mustard powder from Germany when I go there end of march. Hopefully the virus problem goes away soon. It is Russian grade mustard that blows your brain out if you smell it. :exploding_head:

@olm Had to think of you when I saw this image :yum:

2 Likes

ROFL that is uber cute :heart_eyes:

I still haven’t found hot mustard in Taiwan, but by now am keeping a strategic self-imported stock of Löwensenf Extra.

PS: Awesome 10year gravedig

Have you tried making it?

We made it for a brand a few years back, but not ultra spicy. Sometimes can be hard to get the super hot ones without adding other ingredients (like horse radish). I found the higher perce t of mustard seed made it hard to eliminate the harsh bitterness so kept the heat in the middle. Those brands likely have a wicked processing system or their mustard seed source is quite good on the bitter side of things and works well. Both highly respectible if so!

Yep, I tried using mustard powder
 But really boring results. That mustard type “Löwensenf Extra” I’m looking for is indeed quite special: not bitter at all, no spicy additives, yet very (wasabi-like) hot. Great with German sausage, meat loaf, etc.