Hotel discrimination

Couple more interesting follow-up tweets

6 Likes

Lol trying their hardest to shut it down before it becomes an article in the Guardian. My opinion is the problem is much deeper, it’s more of a grass roots problem than specifically hotels.

2 Likes

Why doesn’t this reporter NAME AND SHAME!!!?

2 Likes

When the pandemic first started, Taiwanese were receiving racism overseas, I think because of the passport, they were getting mistaken as Chinese. There was at least one article in a local newspaper about a Taiwanese couple holidaying in Vietnam just as it broke out, that had their hotel booking cancelled, literally on the spot, sent packing. It was a pretty big news story at the time in local papers. I’m not saying this is the same situation or anything, but I wonder if the local papers will cover anything on this?

Wow, I wish someone from the guardian reported on the forced 7 days (when the official number was 3) of covid hotels for students even when they were renting their own place when that was a thing a few months back. I did a lot more than write a tweet to complain about that one and less than no Fs were given by the govt in response.

6 Likes

Nah. As usual it will be "A scooter blew over in Tainan!’ or “Uncle Huang Grew a Yam The Size of His Head!”

4 Likes

The dumb thing about the tweet is, they named and shamed the whole damn country.

3 Likes

In many regulations they have not been clear but when it came to foreigners they were crystal clear. They have been quite outspoken about the nonsense of blaming victims for getting sick and blaming foreigners in particular for having anything about the spread of disease. Several times the then minister Chen scolded the media and people who discriminated. Just as they were with the kid that was bullied for wearing a pink mask when masks were scarce.

This is actually a serious problem. There are many foreigners who find it harder to find not hotel accomodations but rentals for long term because of this nonsense.

Yes, there is part backlash from the discrimination in the West but that is mostly a propaganda point pushed by China. If the Taiwanese are gobbling it up it is because of the effectiveness of disinformation campaigns, especially through LINE groups and in certain age segments, which unfortunately happen to be the same landlord feudal class.

And if you think it is hard to change their minds, remember the many cases these ultrarich stingy landlords are conned and taken to the cleaners…then don’t listen to the cops who try to stop their transfer or believe the cops are the thieves. Sigh.

2 Likes

If she does, the hotels in question could sue her. Remember here you have to be very careful when giving a bad review: even if it is true, the other party can sue for loss of face honor and all that jazz. That’s the law.

However, she could certainly file a report so the Ministry of Health can pursue them for disinformation. They actually stated something they made up as coming from the government. That in theory could, and in fact it should, be punishable by law. It is a bit too far.

If they had said: we do not want foreigners, fine, but they said this was the government’s regulation. Thereby lies the biggest problem.

1 Like

If you read the comments on the tweets, she didn’t even tell MOFA the names of the hotels. Seems like a waste of her power in this situation. The hotels in question are probably not even going to change their behaviour.

4 Likes

Actually it’s not fine because there are anti discrimination laws that protect against this

1 Like

Which way would the chips fall? I would suspect that the courts would say none of our business. The issue is between the parties.

From what I recall nothing really happened when restaurants, bakeries, night clubs, hotels, and temples were denying entry or discriminating against foreigners a few years ago, although some did get some backlash and got rid of their no foreigner policy (one such place tried blaming “translation issues” if I remember correctly) and back then some were saying it was part of govt. policy or in the case of night clubs, saying that’s the order/policy that they were given by the police.

Since Taiwan is opened up now they probably will take it a little more seriously.

1 Like

This has been used a lot over the past two years by bosses etc

2 Likes

So until the government acts, the hotels and restaurants and whatever will keep it up.

5 Likes