Hotel in Hong Kong and Taipei

I’m stopping off in Hong Kong for one night before I move onto Taipei. I need a good, cheap hotel in Hong Kong, near the airport or on the airport tube line.

Also, I need a good place to stay in Taipei

• any recommendations for both?

In HK how much you want to spend? There’s a Novotel at the airport, which is flash. But this place is cool. Highly recommended if you are sure you’d prefer a nice beach to being harangued by Paki suit sellers and dealing with THOSE people.

resort.com.hk/location.aspx Silvermine Beach Hotel. Around a 20-25 minute (HK$100) scenic drive across a mountain and along the coast. Same island as the airport and you completely avoid HK. There’s a cheaper place further along called the Mui Wo Inn, which is also quite decent, if a little heavy on the replica Greco-Roman statues.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]
resort.com.hk/location.aspx Silvermine Beach Hotel. Around a 20-25 minute (HK$100) scenic drive across a mountain and along the coast. Same island as the airport and you completely avoid HK. There’s a cheaper place further along called the Mui Wo Inn, which is also quite decent, if a little heavy on the replica Greco-Roman statues.

HG[/quote]

And you might get to see the well-known safari guy, HGC, collecting cans from the beach along with his bevy of wanton Wang Tong women.

I’d second his suggestion; if you have never met a Hong Kong Cantonese in their natural environment (up to their arses in trash and spittle) then avoiding HK is recommended unless you enjoy being pushed, shoved, kidney-punched and yelled at by the least sophisticated, rudest, most arrogant people ever to infest a plot of land, anywhere.

BroonAgrees

:laughing: I’m quite literally the poster boy of the local eatery.

Caveat: When headkunted for a job in HK, I asked all me mates that had lived in the former territory, where they’d live in HK and why. El Broon was the most lucid voice, unsurprisingly, and I’ve been here ever since. I’ll not be following him down to the sea in ships, I hasten to add, although just recently the thought has greater appeal.

HG

Shit yeah. Ugh.

BroonAle

They both look good. I’m was hoping to spend around £60 but the Novotel has some good deals on so I may spend a bit more.

I’m not use to staying in nice hotels, always been on a budget.

[quote=“burnerking”]They both look good. I’m was hoping to spend around £60 but the Novotel has some good deals on so I may spend a bit more.

I’m not use to staying in nice hotels, always been on a budget.[/quote]

On the other hand, if this is your first trip to Asia, you might like to go into HK itself and experience the hospitality of a small watering hole called Neptune II which has been a rich fishing ground for HGC and myself on occasion. No Cantonese in there either but rather an interesting mix of other Asian cultures. Very easy to meet people…ahem.

BroonAngler

I’ve been to Hong Kong before. As we’re only staying one night (to generally recoup after the flight) I kind of want an easy night… maybe I should go to Neptune II then!!

well we’ve booked a room at the novotel near the airport. We splashed out (compared to our usual traveling budget around Europe) and got an executive king room with jacuzzi with TV etc… should be sweet after a 12 hr flight

That should be very nice indeed. I’ve visited a friend staying there, and the rooms are very good for a Novotel. There’s also a really good buffet just off the side from the lobby. If you need to fill your jacuzzi, I refer you to the happy hunting grounds of Neptune II Broon referred to.

HG