Hotels in Taipei

I need to come back for a few days for a visa application but also just go visit family for about a week. I’ve not stay at a hotel in Taipei in forever as I usually stay with my family. Any recommendations for a solid 4-5 star hotel?

I’m a Hilton honor member and they have The Humble House in Xinyi or Double Tree in Zhongshan available. I’m not sure if anyone’s experience these 2?

I’m also open to other options that I may have missed.

When my parents visited last year, they stayed at the Eslite Hotel in the Songshan Cultural and Creative Park. They’ve enjoyed their stay there:

1 Like

For Hilton, the one in banqiao is decent (Hilton Sinban). I remember it was clean and convenient location next to blue line. Also more affordable compared to downtown Hiltons.

1 Like

I’m not looking to be that far out tbh

Humble House is a better bet between the two.

My mates also enjoyed the Mandarin Oriental (other than the suggestions from the staff to turn down the volume a bit).

1 Like

We liked the Hotel Metropolitan/JR East.

2 Likes

This must be among the most expensive properties in the capital, no?

I’ve never stayed at the Double Tree in Zhongshan, but when I walk by it I think: that’s a sweet location. Looking over the photos of the rooms on google maps, I also quite like the simple aesthetics—nice and clean looking. I’d prefer staying there than in the noise of Xinyi, but that’s just my take.

Guy

2 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. I’m not tourist so I don’t really care to be in xinyi. And the double tree is priced better. I do like that area.

3 Likes

I say go for it, and then let us know what you think.

Guy

1 Like

I’ve stayed at both, and you can’t go wrong with either one. If you prefer luxury shopping at malls and chain restaurants, stay at Humble House. The Double Tree in Zhongshan will have more variety of restaurants and shopping. As someone else mentioned, Eslite Hotel is one of my favorite places to stay.

2 Likes

I’ve stayed at the Double Tree a few times and think it’s a great hotel. When I’m in Taipei, it’s for leisure and the location is perfect. Lots of restaurants in the area and Zhongshan MRT is nearby. The rooms are quite spacious and comfortable. I’m staying at the Humble Hotel on my next trip to the city only because the rates were significantly cheaper for my dates. (I’m part of Friends & Family program and get discount rates when available). I’m familiar with the Xinyi area and Zhongshan is by far, I think, more enjoyable.

2 Likes

I like the breakfast buffet here for Gold/Diamonds, huge buffet.+ (also if Diamond nice lounge here), and for me across the bullet train to the South where I stay when in Taiwan. The rail terminal there is nice now connected to big malls and places to eat. Doubletree Gold/Diamond breakfast is nice but not buffet and boxed meal box (nice one). In general though I find the Hiltons in Taiwan overpriced.

3 Likes

Do any Hilton lounges in Taiwan have free dinner? Any other perks like free meeting room use, afternoon tea/food? (Only just got diamond so I don’t know)

The Marriotts with lounges like the JW are pretty great. 2 free hours of meeting room use per day (JW only benefit I think), free breakfast, afternoon food and dinner, and JW lounges tend to open 6:30am - 11-30pm. You don’t have to leave the hotel since they cover all meals for free. But no JW yet in Taiwan. That’s my favorite brand when I travel for work.

Yes Taiwan hotels are overpriced. In China you can stay at JW, W type hotels for 100 USD a night. In Taipei the W is priced around 350 USD for cheapest rooms. Maybe due to lack of hotels. W is the only “premium” level Marriott here and there are no “luxury” level Marriotts in Taiwan yet like St Regis, Ritz etc.

Unless the breakfast is outstanding, I often just skip breakfast at hotels.

1 Like

I just stayed in the JW Marriot in Hanoi. That place is fan-cee…just like you said they comp a lot of stuff and they have a jazz bar but the price…also fan-cee :grimacing:.
I don’t believe you could stay in a real JW for a 100 bucks a nite anywhere that’s their premium brand, often 300 to 400 a nite. China has brand name hotels but some of them are garbage.
Sorry I have no advice for Taipei .:laughing:

There’s some cheap Marriotts in mainland China, just need to travel to some second tier cities. Changsha one is pretty great. Opened in 2022 so brand new. St Regis there is 200 a night which is cheaper than Thailand and Vietnam. It has spoiled me in terms of what value to expect from hotels. Great reviews too and free upgrades to suites as a Marriott member.

I guess you can get lucky and it’s not popular to go there now. I’m surprised Changsha would have a good one even though it’s a big city (been there before).
I stayed in some truly bad hotels there even global names…
Thailand can be good value for 5 star hotels too with the advantage that you aren’t in China lol.

1 Like

An agent of my wife stayed at the Doubletree in Zhongshan, he said is a decent one. Very strategic location too.

1 Like

Any good hotel recommedations (< 120 USD) in Taipei with a solid breakfast, which has some choices for muesli (fruits, nuts, yoghurt). My parents come visit and if they have to go without a proper muesli AND proper bread, I feel like they might have a problem. The room doesn’t have to be super fancy.

P.S. They are Germans and Taiwan bread ≠ German bread.

well, they should be a little bit flexible, here ain’t Germany. My parents-in-law can go without their youtiao and soybean milk and congee for a while when travelling.

anyways, with that price range in Taipei city tough luck… No decent western hotel can be afforded without some special credit card discount, and with that you can only go to local hotel and… it’s Chinese breakfast or bad continental.

1 Like