House Smells and How to Fix Them

Problem: The smell of sewer in kitchen
Fix: Tape up drains on floor that let smells come out.

Problem: The smell of sewer in bathroom
Fix: Keep sink drain and bathtub drain closed and cover any openings.

Problem: The smell of food cooking in the kitchen
Fix: I don’t know, it’s coming from neighbors somewhere and don’t know how it’s getting into the kitchen

Problem: Smoke in the hallway
Fix: Yell at the construction workers and tell them to go outside and smoke.

Problem: Smell of mildew under sink
Fix: Don’t let wet sponge drop water into small openings that drip into area under sink.

Shared kitchen exhaust system?

For mildew and mould: get a dehumidier, and if needed move to another flat that is either higher above the ground or has more sunlight, which in my experience helps to “disinfect” a room.

Guy

oughta be a misdemeanor to cook fish in an apartment complex or reheat said food in a company break room.

I had the problem with the kitchen drain, my landlord had a plumber install a U pipe instead of the straight pipe. That will solve any smells coming up the pipes, U Pipe would also work for a bathroom sink.

I bought some metal bathroom drain covers the home improvement store that can close and replaced the open ones. It worked. Periodically, I’d pour some cleaning stuff down the drains. What freaks me out is that I heard that this was how SARs spread in HK. Plumbing is not great here. I really miss the garbage disposal for the kitchen. I’d add a lemon peel occasionally and they kept the sink smelling good. Then again, we had real metal plumbing…My kitchen one looks like a vacuum cleaner hose.

2 Likes

Yea I had the same vacuum cleaner hose. I used to pour a strong drain cleaner down it, but one time too many with hot water and the combination ate through the adhesive holding it to the drain and make a toxic mess.
Its a very cheap hose. The metal U-Pipes they use in the States are better, it just costs more(but not much more) many buildings don’t come standard with it. The U Pipe traps water in the U so the smells cant come up the sink. After installing it I never had a use lemon or any air fresheners again.

1 Like

+1

OMG, absolutely this!!

1 Like

I hate cleaning the sink basket. Gross.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more! :face_vomiting:

second that, sometimes I just spray it with bleach and run water

1 Like

I clean it when necessary with the scrub sponge and then throw the scrub sponge away.

1 Like

Me too. I heard the kitchen sponge is a germ catcher. It is replaced at least once a week. In my office, they replace it at least every 6 months.

Sometimes I like to see how much bacteria is on something and I drop it in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and water. If theres no bacteria nothing happens. If theres bacterial it starts bubbling…and a dish sponge will bubble like crazy!

Ewww. I saw where someone microwaved it to kill the germs. But I just throw them away.