Houses in Taiwan (western type)

I don’t give a crap about face. My self-esteem is fine and dandy.

Furthermore, I lived in the same condo building as them. All condos are the same. Empty concrete and rebar boxes with no built in closets! I mean, really. All the same, cookie cutter, identical crap.

You could be this santa claus

1 Like

Depends on the grass variety.

For example? (Actually curious, serious question)

We have ‘half-open lot’ built houses, meaning one side is connected to another house, the other three sides are free. And many times come with a pretty large back yard, or back and front yard.

In my very honest opinion. This ain’t a house. You’ve got a connected wall to some other cretin’s house. I guess you could call it a “town house”, but not a house in the traditional American sense.

The typical suburban American single family detached home sits on its own lot, typically about .25 acre, has its own driveway and carport or garage.

We could have this in Taiwan. Plenty of land available for the population we have. However, construction companies have brainwashed the population into believing that Taiwan is “too small” and that we have no choice but to live in ugly buildings. It’s all profit driven b.s.

Also, Taiwanese love convenience. Gotta live in Taipei, gotta work in Taipei, McD across the street, Starbucks next door, 7-11 on every corner, PX Mart down the block.

Yilan has tons of land available as well as Hualien, Taitung, but everyone is chasing money money money and don’t want to live out there. Hell, even up on the north coast where I live there is plenty of land which could be developed as nice suburban housing developments, but no one will live here. Too far, too quiet, to dark, to scary and there are snakes. Scary scary scary.

2 Likes

See, different strokes for different folks? Well, I have lived in the same old gongwu and i do not have the noise/stairwell problems you did, which I am told are common in larger talou communities… if not held accountable.

I love the community activities. Tours, BBQ, bai bai, I´m in. Love to help with language stuff though they rarely ask me, but they know whose door to knock for stray rescue.

They already got tired of peering into my garbage and finding only dog/cat poo. Same with house.

3 Likes

This really grinds my gears, what is up with the obsession to see the inside of someone else’s house/apt? I am still fighting with my front neighbor who kept going inside my apt during renovation. Don’t get me started of actual legal battles due her creeping while we were out.

2 Likes

Well, thats great and all but if every Taiwanese lived like that Taiwan would need to be probably 4 times larger, and the mountains would need to be flattened somehow. It’s just not possible. Almost half the population of Taiwan concentrated on the Northern end of Taiwan you simply do not have enough space for everyone to have their suburban houses. Many would have to live at sea, maybe in houseboats. I hate to think what the next typhoon would do. Not to mention getting to and from work. MRT construction would be far more expensive and probably not happen if they have to plan for suburban houses.

Suburban houses also require far more electricity to cool.

1 Like

@bw do you have a budget and expectations for a part of Taiwan?

Why is it that they are concentrated on the northern part of Taiwan? There’s plenty of space in Yilan, Hualien, Taitung? Why?

Chasing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in Taipei.

Well, can anyone in Taiwan realistically have jobs in Yilan? If they lived in Yilan, how would they get to Taipei where all the jobs are at without spending a lot of time and money commuting?

I mean if there was a boom in those places and suddenly lots of jobs I guarantee you people would flock there. But right now Taipei is where all the jobs are at and people need to eat too. Unless you think 150nt an hour working at 7-11 is a realistic career because in those places, that’s about it. Either that or hospitality.

Some have huge gardens, their own driveway and garage(s).

Actually, in my home country, lot sizes are going to be limited, or be very expensive due to lack off space.

1 Like

And don’t forget cold in winter, humid, rainy. Direct hit by typhoons.

Well paying jobs.

Geography and politics. Why is HALF of Canada in the Corridor? (No Joke)

With people come jobs. More people packed together means more jobs. More people packed together means more market for business. It’s simply more efficient.

1 Like

But…also…more people packed together means more problems. Too many people concentrated in one area is not a good thing. Like NYC. Been there, done that, will never, ever go back. Couldn’t imagine living there.

From your map, I’ll take Victoria BC or anyplace in BC, except for Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey and Richmond…no no no! LOL

Abbotsford and Chilliwack look nice. As long as the Mennonites stay away from me! LOL

1 Like

whats your building location (if your ok sharing), just getting an idea of where this septic tank pumping is happening,

yea thats awhile ago, guess taiwan was more third world back then, i think your right about the proper sewer cause i found this manhole on the main street

True, though some uk people might think that the rowhouses that they have are houses, in a way they sort of are if they have a private backyard area but still not the us/aus style which is a proper actual house.

1 Like

I doubt your calculations are too accurate in one of the world’s most densely populated countries.
And the traffic, holy shit!

1 Like