How about a Forumosa softball gathering?

My wife invited me to play in her company’s softball tournament today on the fields down by the river in Neihu. I hadn’t played softball in 10 years and had memories of striking out and dropping the ball, so I tried to back out. Somehow I got suckered into it anyway, and it was a blast.

I was wearing sandals at first, thinking I wouldn’t play (or using that as an excuse so I wouldn’t have to), but they got me out there, so I ended up playing the first game barefoot. I ended up enjoying it so much that I rushed home to get shoes for games two and three. I was catcher all three games. It was easier than I remembered – I got a couple of singles, a couple of doubles, scored a couple of runs. In fact there were very very few strikeouts. And they had a rule that as long as a woman/girl hits the ball at all (other than a foul) she takes first base.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun. And it got me thinking, we should have a big forumosa softball gathering some day if someone could figure out how to reserve the fields and where to get the bats, balls and gloves. They’ve also got tents set up beside the fields, so players, spouses and children can hang out in the shade while they watch, eat and talk.

What do you think? Anyone up for that?

jdsmithclan is IN baby!

But gloves would be needed.

Sounds great :rainbow:

I;m down and would like to have a bowling night also, if this doesn’t work out
:smiley: :smiley: :rainbow:

Both great ideas!

woo-hoo.

Before yall sign up for the Brother Elephants, maybe yall should get a little feedback from Mother ‘Al Pujols’ Theresa. :wink:

MT, how’s yer ribcage feelin’ today? 'Specially the side that faced the pitcher when you were at bat, that feels all locked up now and like somebody left a buncha daggers stuck there?

:slight_smile:

Funny you should ask.

Actually, it’s not my ribcage, but my lower back that’s feeling very creaky this morning and my legs are a little stiff too. Already did a little bit of stretching, but I’ll have to do some more. I wouldn’t have expected to be sore after some wimpy softball, but, we did play 3 games. As for the knot on my ankle where I got hit with the ball, I iced that last night and it’s not a problem.

Injuries notwithstanding, it was still worthwhile. It was a good day, and it would’ve been even better with a bunch of forumosans (and maybe some beer).

There may be a few challenges, though, in reserving the fields and getting the necessary gear. Perhaps bowling would be easier.

Sorry MT :blush: didn’t to stray from a already good idea. Let’s give it a try to have the softball game… The IP forum against the Taiwan Politics Forum. Woman’s forum against the Open Forum…If it can’t be worked out then lets do the bowling thingy… :rainbow:

No prob Namahottie. Bowling sounds good too.

As for softball, here are the primary logistical issues:

1. Fields: the fields down by the river in Neihu, or on the other side across from Neihu are great, but I’m pretty sure we’d need to reserve them. I assume that should be possible. just need to find out who we speak to about that and then do it.

2. Balls, bats, gloves: Some forumosans might be interested in the event and might have one or two of each of those items, in which case we might be all set for balls/bats, but we’ll almost certainly be short of gloves. There must be a place somewhere from whom we could rent/borrow gloves, but I have no idea where that would be.

3. Ump: at the company tournament I went to yesterday they had city of Taipei umps, which was great, but we probably don’t need that and could get by with using a couple of honest forumosans with decent eyesight (if they exist).

4. As I mentioned, they’ve got tents there that I believe are always set up, which I hope is true because the shade was welcome. There were also table and lots of stools, but I’m sure those belonged to the company. We’d have to bring our own, which probably won’t be a problem.

5. We’ll probably want food and beverages too, which I’m sure we can provide.

Those are the primary issues as I see it. Any feedback and/or suggestions are welcome.

If you are intested in joining a softball team:
[forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … all#427407](Softball in Taipei