How can anyone watch Bill O'reilly or Fox news?

This thread is awesome.
The invective poured out on an insular American entertainment network is quite…
What I want to know: if it is so bad, then, keep watching it, as some clearly indicate that they could. Is it because some folks are watching something other than what they “should” be watching, or perhaps it is due to some inner conflict?
I mean, really!
Who am I to care about some rhetoric laden news pillory? Let them make asshats of themselves, and if some section of the North American public buys into that, then let them as well.

A foe so clearly self marked is a blessing in disguise. Focus on the ones not so obvious.
:grandpa:

you should care. they are still the nation with the biggest guns and most bombs and most willing to use them. this is where ignorance does really hurt everyone else.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
Don’t underestimate the power of an echo chamber. [/quote]

I think this is part of my mom’s problem. She grew up with just a few TV channels and probably access to as many newspapers + a highly homogenous religion. The party line was the party line and most people seemed, more or less, to agree with it.
Now I know she spends hours every night either watching fox news or clicking around on websites with similar views. Because she’s exposing herself to hours of this stuff every day, and most of the people she’s in contact with are religious and of similar political views, to her it’s just obvious that the stuff is true. When her daughter comes around with a different viewpoint she doesn’t see how I could disagree with her, when so many “facts” are circulating to support her arguments. There’s just so much “evidence” that she’s right! Especially when all of the “smart” “authoritative” people agree with her.

It’s something that freaks me out about the internet/google- their algorithms make sure that a person will continue to see things that are similar to what they’ve already searched/seen/appeared to like. ALL of us build our version of reality based on what we’re exposed to. IF the internet is our main source of info, and algorithms give us more of the same, we’re kind of fucked when it comes to balanced views.

I have a really interesting mix of my extremely right wing family/people I knew from the religion I was raised in and my more liberal “chosen” family. It’s fun to watch their completely opposing views pop up right next to each other. They’re for the most part lovely people who would get along well in person. Sometimes I’m really glad they can’t see each other’s posts!

[quote=“finley”]
Do you think it’s possible the producers don’t actually believe half of the crap they put out there? Maybe the reason you get such outrageously retarded nonsense on Fox is that it’s like an all-year-long April Fool’s joke. They’re probably running some sort of competition among themselves to see how totally random they can get before the punters wrinkle their little sloping brows and think: hang on, that can’t be right, can it?[/quote]

Beliefs are so interesting. I’d like to think that I believe things based on an even-handed assessment of the information available to me, but alas it’s not the case. I think most people’s “beliefs” are based on what they are rewarded for saying they believe. Once I was at a Clinique counter trying to figure out the cheapest thing I could buy to get their “free gift.” The Clinique lady was blathering on and on about the “true science” behind their anti-aging shtuff and said some assinine statement about how this or that cream can reverse the signs of aging. I repeated the exact sentence she said and then said, “Do you really believe that?”
Her eyes darted around to see who was listening before she answered. Funny, I can’t remember how she responded now, but I remember thinking at the time that it was clear she hadn’t thought about it much. Gotta make the sale.

I think that behind the most violent, passionate exclamations of belief there’s often a nebulous muddle of emotion and nothing more. Thus beliefs are based lower on Maslow’s Heirarchy of Needs, not so much at the self-actualization level, but down with esteem, love and belonging, and even safety (depending on where and when one is living).

I think Vonnegut did a great job of exploring this issue in Mother Night. Great book.

I think most news is usually biased and thats just the way it is. I am bias to a point no matter how subjective and bi-partisan i try to stay. But for a news channel that has a motto of “Fair and Balanced”, it’s just ridiculous. It’s the fact that people actually believe what they are fed from FOX news is “fair and balanced”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]This thread is awesome.
What I want to know: if it is so bad, then, keep watching it, as some clearly indicate that they cldo. Is it because some folks are watching something other than what they “should” be watching, or perhaps it is due to some inner conflict?
I mean, really!
Who am I to care about some rhetoric laden news pillory? Let them make asshats of themselves, and if some section of the North American public buys into that, then let them as well.

A foe so clearly self marked is a blessing in disguise. Focus on the ones not so obvious.
:grandpa:[/quote]

what does all this mean?

I grew up in the US living in Texas and Virginia with a B.A of international affiars/political science and international econ. The lack of political awareness if amazing in the states. Young people feel disenfranchised with the lack of efficacy in a system that feel broken. The old older generation seems to have no clue but has to be told what to believe in like sheep. They look for whether a person has a R or D next to the name to decide.

What I want to know: if it is so bad, then, keep watching it, as some clearly indicate that they cldo.[/quote]
I don’t watch it (anymore), but it’s hard not to encounter clips from Fox News when browsing the Web.

I started watching it back in 1997 when it was available as part of basic cable (for many other news shows, you had to go to the next tier up in the payment schedule). It wasn’t long before I perceived a right-wing bias. They took delight in attacking Clinton and Democrats, and would treat Republicans with kid gloves. They gave disproportional emphasis to Christians being persecuted, and to whites being victimized by minorities. Their round-table discussions almost invariably featured two conservative guests and one liberal guest, and while the conservatives were allowed to speak, the liberal was constantly interrupted and dismissed, before being cut off because they were “out of time”. So the liberal never had a chance to express his views properly.

Their bias became more evident as time passed, especially during the Lewinsky investigations, and during the run-up to the 2000 election. Instead of being neutral, they were cheering the Republicans and denigrating the Democrats. I stopped watching.

It became particularly disgusting after 9/11. I was at the office, and the lounge had Fox news on discussing the events of 9/11 in its aftermath. I remember Fox juxtaposing video of the twin towers burning with video of what turned out to be celebrations at a Palestinian wedding, making it look like the Palestinians were celebrating the attack. I was disgusted.

Their bias has never left them. Do they still claim to be “fair and balanced”? Because they never were.

They are all Muslim, all the same, you know, who cares. And it’s always Obama’s fault.

you should care. they are still the nation with the biggest guns and most bombs and most willing to use them. this is where ignorance does really hurt everyone else.[/quote]
Right on.
Still, eh?
That’s some mean feat.

Somehow, I fear, it is not quite so simple as that.
Still, nice bit of fun to buy unto the game, now and then, is it not?

I don’t watch Fox News, but I enjoy watching TYT talking about Bill O’Reilly.

youtube.com/watch?v=yr2s1GF0FoA

7:19 :popcorn:

What I want to know: if it is so bad, then, keep watching it, as some clearly indicate that they could. Is it because some folks are watching something other than what they “should” be watching, or perhaps it is due to some inner conflict?
I mean, really!

:grandpa:[/quote]

The problem is that they make up a considerable portion of the population and the elected representatives that make major military and economic decisions in what is still the world’s most powerful country (China is more powerful in some areas). The concern would be that the conservatives take control of the presidency and congress and the US starts making some really big ultra conservative decisions that have major global consequences.

As a conservative myself (a moderate that can think for myself) I consider the current republican party a debacle that is setting up for crushing political losses in the next decade. They are strongly strengthening their far right position and moving so far away from the center that they are losing the moderate/swing/independent voter and it is really going to hurt. The Dems are also moving from center but they are going to benefit big from the center on social issues (gay marriage for example) shifting strongly to the left. I can’t see any appeal for the Republicans from the swing voters (like myself). I’m conservative/independent and I want nothing to do with them.

I’ve been saying for years that there needs to be a reasonable republican party to contrast with the dems. I remember when John McCain was sane. The current flock of 16 republican presidential candidates are all nuts… like really nuts. And Fox news tries to make their nutty positions seem reasonable with leaps of logic that make evel knievel look like a chump. It’s a 24 hr propaganda machine for ideas that hardly qualify as ideas, and the undereducated take it all in as if the stuff they’ve been saying about the dirty Mexicans, lazy blacks, and sinner queers has been right all along :loco:

The republican party has no chance to win the presidency in its current condition and it doesn’t deserve it. The party of Lincoln is now the party of Ted Cruz :unamused:

I think young people are finding it harder and harder to relate to the GOP. I was more on the conservative side pre obama. But now I don’t feel like anyone in the GOP can properly represent my interests. They cater to the out of touch dinosaurs living on medicare.

Oh yes. Most of what we believe - all of us - has been put into our heads by other people. I think we can filter and weigh those beliefs against each other and decide which to accept and which to reject … but again, that filtering process is contingent on the most powerful beliefs. I think it’s so important to give a young kid beliefs that he can use to evaluate other beliefs (when he’s old enough) because those primal beliefs will still be there, fossilized, in the back of his brain somewhere.

I feel so sorry for these people. It’s awful to be told you have to believe bullshit (or pretend to believe it) in order to get the job. The problem is that once you start performing the actions implied by some belief, the belief is thereby reinforced. Maybe that’s what happens on Fox News. Maybe that’s how ALL bullshit gets its hooks in.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. Do they “believe” it? Maybe it’s the wrong question. Do they profit from it? Yes.

We all feel that way, but the truth is Republicans hold 31 state governorships and 31 state legislatures, and both houses of Congress. Clearly, they’re doing something right.

I grew up in the US living in Texas and Virginia with a B.A of international affiars/political science and international econ. The lack of political awareness if amazing in the states. Young people feel disenfranchised with the lack of efficacy in a system that feel broken. The old older generation seems to have no clue but has to be told what to believe in like sheep. They look for whether a person has a R or D next to the name to decide.[/quote]

OK, so your post was a rhetorical question, then :laughing:

I spent a decade there, but mostly in CA and MA with a couple of degrees, etc. the manipulation of news started many years ago (Murdoch, Turner, etc.). That ship sailed; we are now seeing its trailing wave.

and gingerman, english please?

:ponder:
Please English? And if so, which English?
The Queen’s British, or some of the country vernacular?

How about I meet you half way?

youtube.com/watch?v=6oqvNp6jmzU

Seems like Fox News are asking reasonable questions here.

[quote=“Kiwi”]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqvNp6jmzU

Seems like Fox News are asking reasonable questions here.[/quote]
Except that:

1. They completely misrepresented the new NY law. The law simply changed the meaning of consent to "knowing, voluntary and mutual decision among all participants to engage in sexual activity.” No mention of male or female, so it goes both ways. No mention of contracts. Fox just made shit up about the law.
  2. Britt Hume suggests they should go back to segregation of the sexes, like when he was in school. “boys will be boys, guys are pretty lusty, and you needed to be careful when you got them around young women.”

So is it a problem of “men’s rights” to assume consent, ala Megan Kelly, or Hume’s projection than men can’t be expected to get consent when they see girls that you find reasonable? That was a typical Fox news segment: make shit up, talk about said shit, and project your own weirdness onto everyone.