How can I find a phone number and/or e-mail address?

Hello, I’m writing from Micronesia. I need to find a phone number (and/or an e-mail address) for a person or company in Taiwan. It is the owner of a boat that has wrecked here in Micronesia.

The name and address is:

Hung Shui Neng
No. 53, Ping Tung Chern
Liu-Chiu Village
Ho Ping Rd., Taiwan

Does anyone know a directory or listing of phone numbers where it may be listed? Thank you!

Have you tried contacting a Taiwan Trade Office (psuedo embassy)? There might be one on Guam.

I don’t know what kind of relationship Micronesia has with Taiwan.
I’m sure there must be an office there given the tourist trade between Taiwan and Yap.

http://taiwan-info.org/guam.cfm

Follow the link to the Taiwan TECO office in Guam.

It says;

That should lead you to a person who can help, or at least somebody with a phone book.

The name and address is:

Hung Shui Neng
No. 53, Pingdong Chern
Liu-Chiu Village
Ho Ping (Heping) Rd., Taiwan

I couldn’t find a white pages on the internet, only the yellow one.

However, if you were to look for this person, I think the correct address should read:

Hung Shui Neng
No. 53 Ho Ping Rd.
Liu-Chiu Village, Ping Dong Chern
Taiwan

It looks as if you have the Pingdong Chern (municipality) and the road mixed up.

Hope that helps you a little bit in your search.

[quote=“RKLedge”]I need to find a phone number (and/or an e-mail address) for a person or company in Taiwan. It is the owner of a boat that has wrecked here in Micronesia.

The name and address is:

Hung Shui Neng
No. 53, Pingdong Chern
Liu-Chiu Village
Ho Ping Rd., Taiwan

Does anyone know a directory or listing of phone numbers where it may be listed? Thank you![/quote]

I found a kind of directory for Pingdong County and typed in the first two Chinese characters (for Hung Shui) and couldn’t find it.

I’m not 100% certain, but I think the address is on Liuchiu Island. There appears to be a LiuChiu Township Government contact number, which is (08) 8612501 and a fax for the Township Government, which is (08) 8613855 . Taiwan’s country code is 886.

There’s a person who appears to be a government administrator in Liuchiu Township (but I can’t figure out his precise job because my Chinese is very poor), whose name is Hung I Hsiang, and who apparently can be contacted at the numbers given above (it looks like those numbers may be for more than one government agency/office). His e-mail address is scs@mail.liouchiou.gov.tw

I got that information mostly from

this Taiwan Government Small Community Website’s Webpage for Liuchiu

If the page doesn’t come up, maybe you can get it by this google cache:

(Google cache of the link directly above)

Those numbers are also for the Liouchiou Township Public Bus and Ship Administration, Pingtung County. The address of that agency is: No. 217, Zhongshan Rd., Liouchiou Shiang, Pingtung (Pingdong), Taiwan 929, R.O.C. (e-mail t205@ems.ptts0301.gov.tw )So as I said, I think those are numbers to the Township Government.

Here’s another one:

Liouchiou Township Representative Council, Pingtung
Address: No. 49-16, Jungshan Rd., Benfu Tsuen, Liouchiou Shiang, Pingtung, Taiwan 929, R.O.C.
Contact Phone Number 08-8612544
Fax Number 08-8612142
Email Address candy.abc@msa.hinet.net

One more:
It appears that Biyun Temple, a Buddhist temple, is just down the road from the address you posted (boldly assuming I even have the right Liu-Chiu). The temple gives its address and phone number as follows:

Pingdong County, Liu-Chiu Island Township, Heping Road No. 61, Taiwan, ROC 929
Telephone: (08) 8612298

I got that info from this Buddhism webpage

There are lots of Heping Roads in Taiwan, and there’s a Heping Road on Liuchiu Island. You should be able to see it here, if the page comes up:

Liu-Chiu Island Map

If the map doesn’t come up, you can try clicking one of the directional arrows and then clicking back in the opposite direction.

The map doesn’t help much, I know, but what with the confusion that can arise with English spellings, it’s just to let you know it’s an actual road on an actual island.

Hope this helps.
xp+10K

xp+10K, you gotta clean up those links >.<

Like this:
Type something here and it will show up as a link.

[quote=“miltownkid”]xp+10K, you gotta clean up those links >.<

Like this:
Type something here and it will show up as a link.[/quote]

Aye-aye!

Much better :beer:

Interestingly, at the CKS airport, I found an english Chunghwa Telecom Telephone directory. It was complimentary and can be found at a little newspaper/brochure kiosk near the Hsin Tung Yang and Museum gift shops. Why anyone leaving Taiwan would want this information (hmm :ponder: ) but I snagged a copy nevertheless, just in case. :wink:

This is a perfect example of the trouble caused by not having a single standard spelling system in Taiwan. The result is that the postal addess is fucked up and even people who live here have big trouble guessing where the hell it is. And of course there is no post-code given either, not even a 3-digit one.

The boat owner’s name might be 洪水能 - but then again, it might not be.

There is a Heping Road in Dafu Village on Liuqiu and the ward office is on Heping Road - and guess what! The ward leader is a Mrs. Hong 洪! She might even be the wife of the boat owner.

In which case the address would be:

Hong Shuineng
No. 53, Heping Rd.,
Dafu Cun,
Liuqiu Xiang,
Pingdong Xian,
Taiwan 929,
R.O.C.

(with everything mercilessly pinyinised)

or if you prefer more English in it:

Hong Shuineng
No. 53, Heping Rd.,
Dafu Village,
Liuqiu Township,
Pingdong County,
Taiwan 929,
R.O.C.

929屏東縣琉球鄉大福村和平路53號

And the ward leader Mrs. Hong can be contacted on +886-8-8613920

:cry: Boohoo! I tried calling the number and the person answering could only speak Hokkien - no Mandarin! Any Hokkien/Taiwanese speaker want to give it a try?

[color=blue]**********
漢語拼音最通用
[/color]

Thank you for your suggestions! I have written e-mails to 4 of the agencies you have all pointed me toward . . . R

You’re welcome!

I found an article about a fisherman named 洪水能 Hong (Hung) Shuineng. His fishing company is called 海展洋漁業公司 - the Haizhan Ocean Fishing Company - and they have a company on Guam called 豐利漁業公司 - the Fengli Fishing Company. The actual English name used by the company might be different - it could be Fung Li Fisheries Guam, Inc. The company in Guam is run by Hung’s son.

This could well be the company in question:

Fung Li Fisheries Guam, Inc.
6-C Hibiscus Garden
Harmon, Guam 96925
Company President: Sheng Yi Hung
Co-owner: Irene Leng Tan (note: Tan is the Hokkien version of the surname Chen)
Seafood processing facility: 1026 Cabras Highway, Hotel Wharf, Piti, Guam
Source (PDF)
Hung Sheng Yi/Tan Leng Leng, Harmon, Guam residential telephone number: 647-1779
Source

The article says that two of Hung’s nephews, 陳進成 Chen Jincheng and 陳鳳祥 Chen Fengxiang were killed by Indonesian crewmen last year. This might be the same incident described in the following article: