How can I print ㄅㄆㄇ of this page? It disappears in printing

I am trying to print a copy of this online Chinese Bible with the ㄅㄆㄇ. When view it appears fine. In printing, it is gone. I really need the ㄅㄆㄇ. This is the only Bible with ㄅㄆㄇ that I can find. If you have a way to make it work or have any other sources, I would greatly appreciate it.
http://www.aizhu.com/cuv-trad/torah.htm#GN3v1

1 Like

Could be your PC may not have that font installed, viewing it in webpages is different than viewing it on your PC, copy some of it and paste it in word, if it comes up with boxes for each character, you’ll need to find the correct font and install it. Printers will generally print anything, but the device that is sending the print job needs to be able to render the characters.

2 Likes

When I copied and pasted it, it was just normal text.
I tried looking at the source code, and it looks like there’s a lot going on
It’s not your simple html text.
Can someone take a look at the website and find out how he can extract the phonetic info

1 Like

Could it be due to the driver of your printer?

Sometimes, I need to see print preview before actually print something, otherwise I get many blanks or corruption. It does not work always, though. I don’t know what causes it.

If you need just a few pages, screenshot?

1 Like

Did you copy and paste and then change the font to one that has ruby text in bopomofo? I think that’s the step that’s missing – switching the font.

2 Likes

I think this is probably the solution. You can download various Chinese fonts with bopomofo ruby text here (free, donated by a professor at Chung Yuan Christian University): https://123.briian.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2152

Some of the fonts included look as below…
fonts

2 Likes

Font used in that page is “Han Wang Ming Medium ChuIn”

wp010-05.ttf

Maybe it is easier to print a screenshot. I changed the colors to black on white:
https://screenshots.firefox.com/hzSvpHYAcDab2gtz/www.aizhu.com

Unfortunately both Firefox and Chrome cut off full page screenshots if it is very long.

2 Likes

REMOVED, use other download

This is a quick solution. Screenshot to pdf.
Properly would be to install the font I linked in the previous post and print the text with that font.

3 Likes

Dang, you beat me. :slight_smile: :notworthy:

I don’t have Microsoft Word, so I installed and tried one of the fonts in LibreOffice Writer, but the characters didn’t appear at all–neither the regular Chinese characters nor the bopomofo–in that word processor. I think I also tried some others in LibreOffice Writer, and they didn’t work in that one either.

So then I opened the old Microsoft WordPad, and a lot of the installed fonts worked after a fashion, including bopomofo, but there were big gaps between a lot of the characters. I didn’t think this would be acceptable, so I just kept installing the fonts Steve4nLanguage linked to and trying them.

Finally, I used HanWangKaiMediumChuIn (王漢宗中楷體注音), and that one seemed to work fine for me, with much fewer gaps (and of course with bopomofo), again, in Microsoft WordPad. And it also worked for me, with only a few gaps and including bopomofo, in Notepad.

I’m a cheapskate, but I guess folks who have Microsoft Word won’t have any trouble with it–I guess.

Anyway, this is a redundant post, but dang, I had to post this–I think I may have gained a few more gray hairs fooling with this stuff.

Edited to add: I just installed OpenOffice and was able to get HanWangKaiMediumChuIn (王漢宗中楷體注音) to work in its word processor (not judging LibreOffice, maybe I messed something up with it–downloading it or using it), and OpenOffice was able to convert my sample to a PDF document, and it preserved the bopomofo in the PDF.

2 Likes

On a website it is worth having a look into the style-sheet file:
http://www.aizhu.com/cuv-trad/cuv-trad.css

:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, slawa. I learned some stuff today. :slight_smile:

Later I will post a proper PDF with full text.

Here:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/368681496011079680/505174508983025667/bible.pdf

If you want to print some parts then I recommend to use Microsoft Word.

First download and install the font:
http://www.aizhu.com/cuv-trad/wp010-05.ttf

Then copy&paste text to word. Select all text (ctrl+a) and change font to 王漢宗中楷體注音

1 Like

I had the same issue with LibreOffice in Ubuntu. This font does not appear in the list even though it was properly installed system wide. That’s why I had to use a Windows PC and MS Word to make the PDF.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I’m so used to messing up computer-related things that I figured the LibreOffice problem was probably my fault.

Dear Forumosa Community. Thank you for your time spent on this. I was once pretty competent in computers but got very rusty. I’m learning a lot…
Let me summarize what I think I’ve learned and ask a few more questions.

Having the website specify the font is new to me. Through your post I’ve located the font name on the style sheet:
@font-face {
font-family: “Han Wang Ming Medium ChuIn”;
src: url(‘wp010-05.ttf’)
format(“truetype”);

But, where is the font file actually living? Where is its physical location? The url doesn’t have what I recognize as a complete url path.
How come the font only works on the screen but not able to appear when selected to print?
Font and substitutions: Thank you Slawa for providing the downloadable source for the font. Is there an agreed upon standard among bopomofo fonts. Certain words that appear the same way like 種 vary its pronunciation depending upon meaning or position (Zhǒng for seed and zhòng for plant [Google translate seemed to mess this one up])
If we don’t take into account, pronunciation, all these words can be represented by a single Unicode character.
If you wanted to take into account the changes in pronunciation, wouldn’t each character with embedded pronunciation require a special character for each variant?
Slawa, is a special technique or app that automatically saves screenshots into PDF. Normally I copy the screenshot into a word processor or graphic program or save automatically to my hard drive.

Yes, only the file name is specified. That means the file must be available under same path as the webpage you are currently viewing. 5.1.2 Relative URLs

http://www.aizhu.com/cuv-trad/
wp010-05.ttf

This is a good question. Theoretically it should work. This is a problem with the browser. It happens quite often that there are some encoding issues in software.

My guess is that before the browser prints, the page is reformatted, so it can be printed on paper (size, background color, images). In that specific case it uses a UTF-8 font that can handle general Chinese characters but not this kind of text.

ǒ [LATIN SMALL LETTER O (U+006F) & COMBINING CARON (U+030C)]
ò [LATIN SMALL LETTER O (U+006F)] & COMBINING GRAVE ACCENT (U+0300)]
Are represented by the same Unicode character which have additionally a second Unicode character representing the diacritical mark. Those are then combined. A character can have multiple diacritical marks.
o
ò̶̺̝̼̼̼̣̓̃͜͝
̸̨̨̲̯͔̖̼͓̃͛̂͛̔̈́͑̿͆͜o̷̤̝͇̫̞͔͔̲̻̪̊̑̍͊̑
̴̫̲̬̎̕͘͜ǫ̵͙̭̂͊́̍̈́̃̀̀͘͝
̸̻͚̯̹͔̼̆̓͌̈́̏̃͐̌̚͠ơ̵̡̢͙̹̝͈͌͋́̇̊̂̿͘͜͠
This is same character combined with different diacritical marks.
http://qaz.wtf/u/combining.cgi?use=o&count=15&type=both
reload that page a few times and change the amount of diacritical marks

Most browsers support taking screenshots of the website. Google a solution for the browser you use. (There is a limit of how long the webpage can be, so it does not work for the whole bible page. It is too long.)
Then you can print that screenshot, but instead of selecting a printer choose print to file. Select PDF as file format and the location to save the file.
Most of the time you can just print the website directly to a PDF file. Only in this case you need to take the route with the screenshot to preserve the font.

Additionally UTF-8 is a variable-length encoding. This means that storing one code point requires one to four bytes.
If the system you are using handles Unicode with less than four bytes then it can not display certain characters.
Most often it this can be observed if the text does not support emojis, which are 4bytes Unicode. :smile: