How did you deal with people looking at you all the time?

to be honest this sometimes bothers me too. recently not that much, just every now and then i will catch someone in the corner of my eye and be like WOT U STARING AT MATE?
i felt quite stressed out at the start of the year, after visiting my home country, where nobody takes any notice of me. i found its quite helpful to just stop yourself, and calmly look around. check out everybody there, and you will quickly find that its no big deal, most people are not actually staring and actually give no fucks about you.

Sorry for staring. There is a shortage of handsome guys on this island, you know?

Special apologies to the furry furriner on a Ubike crossing Civil Boulevard at noon. Hairy legs that awesome are soooo rare. :howyoudoin:

This is so true!

One day a few weeks I was going up the escalator to the Brown Line at Daan Station (my home station) and an old guy coming down yells at me: “Welcome to Taiwan!”

Few minutes later I got on a bus and the bus driver goes “Hello, nice to meet you!”

I had to text my wife, “hey is it ‘be weird to the foreigners day’ today?”

Mostly this stuff never happens in Taipei which is why it was so odd.

The only thing that gets to me sometimes is just the feeling of isolation.

1 Like

It’s been so long since I got a hello shouted at me I chuckled yesterday when a flip flop scooter guy buzzed past with a hello under his breath. Brought back the good old days.

It’s the sideways glance that I find off-putting even though I think it is generally just curiosity and not suspicion.

Often when I get a stare a give a nod and it forces an acknowledgement with a return nod and sort of breaks the tension.

Judging from your post my first thought is that it’s because you’re probably good-looking. The fact that some called you ke ai probably means that you’ve got a baby face. You also said that girls would approach you after you work out so yeah.

If you’re an overweight 45 year-old you wouldn’t have this problem.

2 Likes

Yeah, when I step into Pinoy store they will stare at me and when I start to speak the language they will stop looking at me . :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and perhaps in their mind opps she’s pinay :crazy_face:

If I’m around with Taiwanese they will start talking to me in local dialect :rofl:

Anyway don’t worry about the way they stare, they just love looking at handsome/beautiful furriner.

3 Likes

Are you saying that overweight 45-year-olds can’t be cute or attractive?

Yes.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s pretty harsh. I get called cute quite often though, and I’m even older.

Talaga? Edi Wow!. Just say kamutin mo :smile:

1 Like

They can if their pockets stick out more than their belly

What about 44 and slightly overweight.
Or 46 and underweight.
Be careful where you go with this.:joy:
What about if overweight middle leg? Bonus points ?

Staring is fucjing rude I’m sick of making excuses for em.:angry:

Yeah I got the sideways quick shot stare twice in 20 seconds by the dude wedged beside me at lunchtime.
Why is the dude staring at me why can’t it be a beautiful lady .

Be grateful it is just staring. I had a reasonably cute, tall, blonde blue eyed coworker. Man, the stories! He got his butt grabbed at discos, practically sexually harrassed at bars. Poor thing.

Guapos! Guapos!

Me too! But mostly by men… :disappointed_relieved:

Yep. That was the problem. Especially when he was with his girlfriend!

No respect. :noway:

Better than being black in America and being beaten by white cops, no?