How did you deal with people looking at you all the time?

Do people REALLY stare at you that much? I live in Kaohsiung, and it seems most people are kind of indifferent about foreigners nowadays. I feel like I only get really stared at when I venture into the countryside. There I might as well be a zoo exhibit. But in the city? Nah, not really. Occasional side-eye from an old codger, but nothing to fuss about.

1 Like

Now that you say it, I very get what you mean by that. Good point.

Honestly, everyday. I am not far at all from you, living in Tainan. I guess they are not insisting stares but perhaps I became sensitive to this for some reason, perhaps isolation as some posters said above.
Oh, some here mentioned the ā€œloud helloā€, I got that just 3 or 4 days ago from a guy at a drink shop where I was just passing by, and the female staff laughed. :zipper_mouth_face: I never got what their laugh really means.

So you would disregard any complaint that doesnā€™t rise to this level?

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna need pictures for research purposes. :howyoudoin:

1 Like

:grin:

I donā€™t get stares but everyday I get asked if Iā€™m a basketball player. It also doesnā€™t help my Chinese name is one letter off from Jeremy Lin so i get are you guys related every time I write my name for something. Or the annoy parent who tries to use me to get their kids to eat veggies and milk because they think it makes you tall. Iā€™m lactose intolerant and I never ate veggies as a kid.

2 Likes

You are obviously right. at the end of the day Itā€™s not a big issue, I was just in a little negative mood today!

No itā€™s normal to feel uncomfortable from excessive attention. But there are some weird foreigners who absolutely love this attention !
Usually they wear white shirts and black ties and ride around on two wheels.

4 Likes

Either it doesnā€™t happen to me or I donā€™t notice it. Perhaps the latterā€™s the way to deal with it?

I donā€™t get middle aged men telling me Iā€™m handsome anymore. No loud "Hewwo"s, "Waiguoren"s, or "Where you from?"s. Even when I visit the in-lawsā€™ in freaking Yunlin County nobody notices me.

You kind of miss it when it stops. I think I might be starting to look a bit Taiwanese.

3 Likes

Alright I will not look at anymore to all ā€œguaposā€ promised ā€¦ I will close my eyes.

1 Like

I think this has happened to most foreigners in Taiwan. Majority of times is just curiosity I suppose, we look different and some Taiwanese didnā€™t have much chance to travel around. I get why you may find this annoying because I do too, especially when itā€™s a prolonged, no blink, creepy stare.
I also find that there are a lot of weirdos that come bother me while iā€™m Walking on the street and ask me weird questions like ā€œ hi, are you a foreigner?ā€ ā€¦
anyways itā€™s part of a fase, it will either become better in the future and hopefully taiwanese will get more used to seeing foreigners ( especially in the south)

I think @Brianjones has it about right. The aggravation you feel is a sign that you feel isolated.

It may be a sign that you need to talk more in English, spend more time among foreigners, or maybe even that you need to spend some vacation days back home.

@bojack Dude, people must really stare at you with that horse head. :horse: :flushed:

Itā€™s funny, but Netflixā€™s Bojack Horseman actually deals a lot with isolation and its effects on happiness ā€¦

But yeah, you have no idea. The kids who want to jump on my back and take a ride, incredible burden. Incredible!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a few eps. Good show. Would watch more of it if I had the time.

Arenā€™t you the one who works like three hours a week?

Iā€™m in Taipei, but the staring is not an issue. Not sure if maybe you dress weird or something if you get a lot of stairs.

I think I stick out a bit more than average foreigner as i usually walk around with two dogs, and not many foreigners here have dogs. But still, I get very little stairs.

I have noticed though that many locals do ask me if itā€™s my dogs, as if how can a foreigner have dogs, and yes they are both mine.

Yes, Taipei is a pretty flat city. :grin:

3 Likes

16 class hours, but uni classes require a lot of prep. Plus, have a baby. Plus Iā€™m doing privates on the side. So yā€™knowā€¦

1 Like