How did you deal with people looking at you all the time?

Shit, any buxibAn in daan that teach iPhone autocorrect ?

Please pm

Not that I’ve herd of.

1 Like

Standard greeting used to be ‘adogah’ roared across the street about once a day.
I am only half joking .

This sounds kinky. Whose privates, exactly?

As a mixed kid growing up in Taipei I got a lot of attention

Didn’t mind the attention.

Did mind the constant questions Being obviously Hapa they know I can speak the local lingo. So I have to tell my life story to everyone that crossed my path it seemed . You guys only get stared at.

I wished I only got stared at.
Jump in a cab have to talk about me , go into a store have to talk about me. Even stoppped at a light on my scooter have to talk about me when a cabbie pulls up alongside me

My mom had it right , she said they like you take a moment out and be nice and make their day

I used to feel aggravated but I learned to roll with it

The older you get the less you get stared at

So don’t worry

Eventually you disappear into the wood work

2 Likes

I plead the fifth, your honor.

For some reason lately I find myself the victim of a lot of stares, many everyday while I wear the mask + sunglasses combo! which in normal times should help to get less stares.

Is it virus related? Maybe…

I’ve had a few double takes and jumpers recently.

It could be foreigner now means possibly corona carrier? Hence the stares to see if they can spot corona on you?

I’ve heard about this happening in China and even to my friend in Vietnam, but have had zero corona-related racism or discrimination directed towards me. Taiwanese have a lot of faults, but I think they’re pretty clear-headed when it comes to all things covid (except the navy…). Most of their animosity is directed solely at Xi and Tedros.

1 Like

Nah it is because you are not local looking. You will start to not be bothered by it the longer you are here. Although you might just be good looking.

2 Likes

I guess expats are longing for the days when people saw them and simply thought they were sex perverts who made too much money for singing ABCs to kindergartners.

1 Like

I get the usual groin stares, but I’ve become accustomed to those.

1 Like

Are we going to have the "Is teaching in Kindergartens really illegal for foreigners " question. :rofl:

Yer supposed to cover that with more than a mask when out of doors.

1 Like

I thought those farangs went to Thailand?

Well since i was just good looking , it didn’t bother me THAT much back in the day on the wan .
but now that im ugly its not an issue anymore. Present day tommy in the USA…Wife goes on her daily walks and everyone says HI to her and she wonders why nobody says HI to me when I walk ahead of her… Well who wants to say HI to me?
Not a wonder to me. Her, pretty young lady? Of course they will say HI.

1 Like

It never bothered me, what with not really having a sense of self, apart from one time. story tiiiiime!

I was on the Maokong dangly-thing, jeez i forget the name. Anyway I managed to join into one of the ‘Eye of Maokong’ danglies with the glass floor, not really thinking too much about what I was getting into. I joined a family with two young twin boys, the mother and father. Enjoyed it for the most part.

The problem came when I thought I heard one of the kids ask me “Where are you from?” to which I turned around and grunted “England” in an accidentally aggressive tone. I was met with four sets of eyes that looked like a deer caught in a headlights. I then repeated “England”, and the fear continued as they all inched further away from my corner of the dangly box, keeping as far away as possible and all four eyes looking at me in trepidation.

As much as that sounds like a bad experience, I love stuff like that happening. Small stories to share, and you learn from it! 英國人 =)

Maybe you can try wearing a mask.
But if you are tall it will not help much.
I couldn’t handle the states and people pointing at me so I always wear a mask. It’s uncomfortable sometimes especially in the hot weather but it helps to avoid some of the stares.

1 Like

Don’t worry. It will soon pass, unless of course you are totally handsome.
Now, people call me Grandpa, even at my son’s 4th grade Mothers Day Show.

1 Like