How did you end up choosing Taiwan?

No

1 Like

I think there may be ferries from Xiamen to Kinmen. I do not know if they are open due to the coronavirus.

I worked in china, really enjoyed it. Planned to go back, met the ex gf, assumed taiwan would be like china and i would dig it. Came to taiwan with her and found it out it was kind of like china but not really, ended up liking it anyway.

2 Likes

I found myself paralyzed, breathing through a tube and trapped in a claustrophobic cave, when suddenly the top of the cave split open with multiple bright lights blinding my eyes. I lost my eyesight for a full year because of those darn lights. When I finally regained my sight, I found myself on this island.

2 Likes

I had been working at Blockbuster for a couple of years before my degree, I continued working at Blockbuster during my degree, and I was still working at Blockbuster after my degree. At some point during all of that, I got a TEFL certificate to compliment my linguistics degree, but I didn’t do anything with it.

Then one day, I woke up and thought “Fuck it” and decided to go abroad and teach English. I was still in contact with a university friend who I had a crush on who came from Taiwan, a country I otherwise knew nothing about, so I picked Taiwan and applied for a job at Shane English School. I was teaching English in Taiwan a month later.

4 Likes

Sadly, no. I remember the last time I took it must have been around 1997 because an English guy taking the boat was going to Customs wearing one of those T-shirts with a Union Jack being painted over with a Chinese flag, and I had to inform him that displaying the Chinese flag was an offence that could get you seven years- not that anybody here cared; still, not a good thing to wear for Immigration.

I think it was 1994 and we went to visit my aunt and uncle. My aunt took me to a dinosaur restaurant. I was sold.

Not sure how my uncle and aunt ended up there. They are both from Penang and met working on an around the world cruise ship.

1 Like

The one on Bade Road in Taipei? Ha ha, that joint was famous.

1 Like

No idea but probably? I would have been 10 years old, but it was definitely famous.

1 Like

Yes. Indian pub. The stand-up urinals were like half-hallowed totem poles.
First time I tried betel nut in Taiwan (and the last).

1 Like

There pretty much weren’t any language schools we could go to in the Mainland yet when I first came over, so it was decided for me.

2 Likes

Do you choose Taiwan or does Taiwan choose you?

Taiwan?! This isn’t Thailand?

Damn travel agent.

2 Likes

Got kicked out basically
But I shall return :smiley_cat::smiley_cat::smiley_cat::smiley_cat::smiley_cat:

1 Like

Make your landing in Taitung, but NOT Dulan

1 Like

time zone discussion here:

apparently its all supposed to be based on GMT , every fifteen degrees one hour difference?

"

People also ask

How are time zones determined?

To build the time zone map, they studied Earth’s movements. As Earth rotates on its axis, it moves about 15 degrees every 60 minutes. After 24 hours, it has completed a full rotation of 360 degrees. The scientists used this information to divide the planet into 24 sections or time zones ."

" How are time zones determined anyway? … Every 15 longitudinal degrees, the time changed by an hour, thus creating 24 time zones around the world . Over the years, governments have adopted, altered or ignored Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) as they saw fit. The U.S. didn’t sign its time zones into law until 1918.Oct 29, 2009"

so is taiwans time zone correct per GMT ??

Well at least I pretty much weigh the same as good ol General MacArthur

A very distinguished gentleman indeed
A quick re read of his achievements is in order

1 Like

University internship and teaching western style cuisine to students in Pingtung

1 Like

McDonalds?

1 Like

Among other things :nerd_face: actually it was more like Scandinavian style , being as that is where I attended culinary college

1 Like