How did you imagine what Asia was like before arriving?

image image

2 Likes

first place i went was china. i thought people would be more polite and quiet. honorable. stuff like that. boy was i wrong. i thought there would be more temples, chinese lions stuff like that. and i thought the food would be like chinese take away. i knew very little, so experiencing china for the first time was a trip.

6 Likes

Is there a ā€œAsian kids are smartā€ false stereotype in the UK? In Europe in general?

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s a false stereotype. Kids from China, Japan and HK do have a better academic record than British kids, mainly because British kids are entitled, lazy little buggers (I know I was, anyway). Those countries have a higher average IQ than the UK - as does Taiwan. But yeah, I think itā€™s a fairly common idea in both the UK and the US that ā€œAsiansā€ are smart, or academically gifted. Dunno about the rest of Europe.

1 Like

Asian immigrants just work harder and the children of immigrants are generally put under a lot more pressure to succeed.

Plenty of idiots here (and throughout Asia) who couldnā€™t find their ass with both hands and a map.

1 Like

It wasnā€™t as big as Iā€™d expected.

1 Like

Thatā€™s because you didnā€™t get out of your car. If you used some initiative and explored a bit, youā€™d find itā€™s nearly as big as the Seychelles.

1 Like

Didnā€™t form much of an image in my head at all about anything, to be honest, beyond some basic research I conducted with friends on quality of life (products available etc).

In part because I know itā€™s foolish to form romantic ideas about something youā€™ve never experienced, they only lead to disappointment. Also because I find people who think like this to be quite annoyingā€¦because thatā€™s the type that gets whiny when their ideals arenā€™t met.

Bollocks. If Iā€™d never driven it would have seemed even smaller.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the pioneer spirit! You should annex an island near Indonesia and invite me over for a gin and tonic. Oh, the mirth that would ensue!

2 Likes

How do I drive there?

In your yellow submarine.

2 Likes

Yeah the Chinese take away thing is a disappointment. How I long for pineapple duck with sweet and sour prawn balls.

I definitely balk when I see those dishes. :grin:

That submarine sounds suspiciously racist to me.

2 Likes

Being part Asian (mom is Korean), I had a somewhat negative impression of Asia since my momā€™s side of the family seemed more dysfunctional than my dadā€™s. Now after a few decades I realize the whole family is messed up on both sides, but I did have this prejudice as a younger person.

So my expectations when I first went to Korea to study were low. But after I arrived, I was somewhat blown away by what a paradise Asia was for a young guy who was hell bent on partying and otherwise putting off growing up for as long as possible. And I was also pleasantly surprised to find that my Amerasian look made dating not such a struggle here.

Even making money with a minimal amount of work was easy then (teaching, translating, doing voice work for teaching materials, etc.).

So low expectations for me to find that I was wrong about most things.

3 Likes

I canā€™t really answer this question because I spent so much time in Taiwan throughout my life. Nothing surprises me.

I will say I didnā€™t expect to enjoy living in Taipei as much as I do. Corny but I do love this city.

2 Likes

Yeah, well, itā€™s that sort of nonsense that ended up in all this coronavirus business. You foreigners ought to know better. Leave those poor prawns with their balls intact, I reckon.

1 Like

It is lovely, warts and all.

2 Likes

Warts? Care to elaborate?

1 Like