How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

I’m more so referring to people who randomly cross the street without looking, or phone zombies who start crossing when the crosswalk light isn’t even green yet…which is another problem…lots of places simple don’t have crosswalks lights/signals…and even places that do might be completely blocked because of trees, junk, or just horrible placement.

2 Likes

At some crossings near my home, it’s actually much safer to cross while the pedestrian light is red (and no car is approaching) because then there won’t be any right turning vehicles :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

Definitely true too. Generally speaking though biggest problem I have with some pedestrians is just not paying attention to other pedestrians. 2 people taking up space 4 wide and still expecting me to move or being surprised when I just keep walking. I think there’s a whole thread about this on Forumosa somewhere too, so I won’t talk much more past that though.

Some intersections are definitely pretty confusing for me without the crosswalk signals, since one side will get the green light first for ~10s but I only see a red traffic light looking in the intersection so I’m confused if I’m good to start crossing or if they’re just running a red light.

3 Likes

My rule of crossinvg street in taiwan is just a three step process. Wait until i see the green signal to cross road. As soon as it turns green, dont start walking but wait little bit more for those idiots who still wanna make the last strech and gun past the red light.Then walk straight and no matter what dont stop. Its green and i am walking. No way i am gonna stop until i am cross.

6 Likes

Let me guess—tinted windows so he (it seems to be almost always “he”) can do what he wants with impunity?

Guy

2 Likes

Talking about dogs

1 Like

:rofl:

1 Like

All its missing is a Taipower transformer.

4 Likes

I was going to like this but believe it or not there are many dangerous female drivers too. I’ve been surprised on multiple occasions to find a woman driving those things.

2 Likes

Will they ever learn? :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

The trouble is that have learned—all sorts of bad habits. :neutral_face:

Guy

5 Likes

Yes, just like yesterday I was driving out of a underground parking lot…as I was pulling up to go out a family was crossing my path (a mother carrying a small child, a child walking next to her, and a young girl pushing a baby carriage. The young girl with the carriage spotted me, stopped, and started to push the carriage to the side of the road away from my path. The mother turned around and yelled at the child scolding her telling her to push the cart forward…which the girl obeyed meaning walking directly in front of my car.

2 Likes

No! But anyways, last week (Sunday?) I was walking (on the sidewalk) near Sun Yat-sen as this woman on a scooter zoomed past me, driving off the sidewalk, turning right, making a u-turn to get through the green light onto Zhongxiao direction Main Station. While crossing the road I suddenly heard a police siren (scooter) zipping by me and chasing the woman, flagging her down a 100 meters further down the road. Good job done!

10 Likes

You mean they have learned that they have preference on the sidewalk even if it’s a parking exit?!
I’ve never seen that! Usually pedestrians here have learned and will always yield to cars in all situations where they (pedestrians) DO have preference.

3 Likes

Where I come from, pedestrians have priority over any vehicle exiting/entering a parking.

8 Likes

Wait, they don’t here in Taiwan?

I have no idea what Taiwanese law says about it. And I don’t really care. Regarding traffic, in Taiwan I don’t follow the ,“when in Rome…”.

2 Likes

The reckless driving vote has to be the biggest voting block here by far.

1 Like

I’m glad they got her :heart_eyes:
I believe that a lot of accidents could be prevented just by banning U-turns.

1 Like

Only if someone could invent the roundabout…

3 Likes