How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

It seems the crackdown in Kaohsiung is over. This guy on twitter is clearly not amused:

https://twitter.com/PedestrianTW/status/1506629112294641664?cxt=HHwWgMCs6b7Mz-gpAAAA

Guy

6 Likes

I personally don’t care if people ride scooters on the sidewalk going to a parking spot or reach house for parking or something but pedestrians MUST have the right of way.

The a****** scooter riders that zoom straight at me and make me jump out of the way when I’m walking down a pedestrian sidewalk, they need to be ticketed.

2 Likes

It’s very easy, sleepwalk into their way 2-3 seconds before they pass and retract last moment… I would not deliberately want to crash them but they sure are in danger of it.
Seems to be an advantage of Taichung. The sidewalks are so small scooter drivers have to go slow as well. Impossible to ride fast on them.

That’s just ridiculous. If the family wants people to chip in to get the best expensive lawyer to bring that person behind bars for the rest of his life, im willing to donate a couple thousand. He shouldn’t be seeing the sunlight from outside a jail for life.

2 Likes

Another drunk driver killed someone, slammed into a scooter rider and sent her flying ~3 stories high. Also no driver’s license, driving a BMW.

4 Likes

And it’s in Taichung . . . again.

Terrible and tragic for that woman.

Guy

2 Likes

There aren’t enough curse words for me do describe how I feel about this guy. I need to calm myself down. My heart goes out to that poor woman and her family.

3 Likes

I wonder if he’ll be deported to Vancouver or wherever his obviously negligent parents dumped him during his adolescence.

Guy

3 Likes

I’ve noticed that part of the problem is pedestrians will often yield to cars or scooters that are turning right. I’ve seen people walk right up to where a scooter is waiting at a pedestrian crossing and then stop to let them through first. I’ve also seen people who haven’t even started crossing standing by while drivers do that thing where they keep really close to the car in front so there isn’t a gap for anyone to start crossing the road and before they know it the timer has already run down.

I was crossing the other day and a scooter had to do a hard brake when I didn’t yield. The rider seemed genuinely surprised to not make it through.

1 Like

Saw some police officers parked on the side of the road and standing around for a while…I presume it is to wave down scooters that run the red light. However, sitting right in front of them are about 3 or 4 cars illegally parked in a bus stop zone and they don’t do anything about (they never do). Sucks getting on or off the bus because you have to dodge cars trying to illegally park there when people are getting on/off…

Also walking back home down a side street…guy going fast on a scooter and takes the turn super tight and almost smashes into me because the sidewalk ends before the corner…he saw me last second and got scared a bit and swerved a little…that spot has a mirror to see pedestrians and traffic around the corners and why would you turn so tight on a corner anyways…

6 Likes

Just had a brilliant idea. We could all wear loud speakers on our bodies that blast “注意安全” whenever we near an intersection

4 Likes

Can I also have turn signals that beep when activated?

4 Likes

I’ll allow it.

3 Likes

11 Likes

This sidewalk looks like it was designed by dogs.

20 Likes

It looks like a cycle lane.

Might be an improvement. At least a lot of the dogs I see here look both ways before crossing the street. That’s a lot more than I can say for a surprising number of pedestrians and drivers.

7 Likes

:no_entry_sign: no pedestrian-blaming on the “How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at cross walks?” thread :angry:

2 Likes

Some cunt in a black BMW nearly drove the wife and I down at a crossing today. I was so flabbergasted that I forgot to give him the finger whilst hurling a scooter through his windshield.
Horrible entitled fucker.

5 Likes

Yes the whole idea of pedestrian crossings is that you are not supposed to have to look carefully left and right.

In a normal country.

5 Likes