How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

15 Likes

Maybe that’s why the after picture was at night…everyone was already done with their business and left and only a couple scooters left, so easy clean up for the police, not too much work for them. Like always, it will go back to normal…

3 Likes

Oh yeah, lol, all those city hall employees done for the day :joy:

1 Like

Found out an acquaintance has been busy looking after his mother recently since she was hit by a car from behind while crossing the street on a crosswalk. Driver that hit her told police she didn’t see her because of the A-pillar. Acquaintance’s mother had to get cut open a few times by the doctors but seems to be doing better now.

Saw this on the S. Korea subreddit…Seoul going to be widening sidewalks, adding bike lanes, more green in a couple of areas.

7 Likes

Taipei will get there too. Give it another 30 years or so.

2 Likes

Laughs in Kaohsiung

5 Likes

Taipei City has done so much in that regard. It’s not perfect, but compared to 20 years ago, it’s day and night. It’s very difficult to widen streets and create bike lanes in a city with this kind of population density.

There is much more space to work with in Seoul.

1 Like

There actually was, early in the Ko administration, a nice sidewalk widening campaign on some of the larger arteries: Xinsheng South Road, Fuxing North and South Road, plus the earlier redesign of Xinyi Road when the Red Line was extended.

Fully agree though that more can and should be done to improve the situation!

Guy

1 Like

I live in Luzhou and they’re making a great effort to redo the sidewalks here. Expanding and standardizing them as well as making them more wheelchair accessible. Car and scooter drivers really seem to love them now because they have more space to park on.

8 Likes

The A-pillars seem to be the “excuse du jour” these days.

3 Likes

Following this trend, I might as well claim that the frames of my eyeglasses made me not see things!

Guy

2 Likes

Introduce this software to Taiwan, police tech team need to deactivate, no way could they keep up with the amount traffic violations.

2 Likes

“The situation is not helped by the habit here of randomly stopping wherever the hell people want to stop . . .”

I like to joke that partly the problem is linguistic, i.e. ‘ting che’ covers both ‘stop the car’ and ‘park the car’; so people think that if they have stopped the car, they are properly parked.

6 Likes

…Tons of traffic lanes on most of the streets. The real reason it’s difficult is because they are not committed to it and even when they do build bike lanes, they are semi useless and on the pavement with the rest of the rabble. Let’s face it, Taiwan is a sad joke in this regard.

5 Likes

In my experience the bike lanes on some major roads like Xinyi, Xinsheng, Ren’ai, Fuxing, etc. work well. I usually avoid riding along streets without bike lanes. Rather go through back alleys.

I think pedestrians walking on bike lanes is a problem, but so is bikers on pedestrian-only sidewalk. It is what it is. No easy solutions.

5 Likes

They tried separate bike lanes on the road and it was a disaster as cars and trucks pulled onto them. The outside pavement is a good compromise.
Nothing beats purpose built aerial bike lanes or riverside/railside bike lanes.

2 Likes

The problem is the only way to stop cars and scooters from using sidewalks or going where they are not supposed to is physical barriers. It becomes problematic if you have to use them everywhere.

I ride near da an park every day. The park part is ok, because there is a lot of space and no business. But there’s still people walking in the bike lane, bikes in the walking lane etc. It isn’t great. As soon as you get to normal road with business’s etc chaos resumes. The part in front
of dongmen station is totally crowded. My preferred route to school is down the alleys because they are quiet, little traffic or people to deal with.

I seriously doubt they were committed to making it work either. Here’s how i would do it. Keep the cycle lanes within the pavement zone, but lower it road level. That would keep cyclists and pedestrians separated, and with the barrier to the actual road still there traffic wouldn’t use it either - probably would need some enforcement on this it is Taiwan after all.

By making a bike lane part of the roads area theres too much ma fan to deal with. Bus stops, taxis, people parking infront of 7-11, delivery vans. Not saying it isn’t doable but its virtually impossible here where there is no will for such a thing.

7 Likes

Taipei feels like a dream compared to Taichung…at least that’s how I feel everytime I visit :sweat_smile:

So is this barrier painted on the ground or protruding from the road surface? If it’s protruded, I doubt many cyclists will be able to stay in that narrow lane when passing each other given their cycling skills.

1 Like