How do we make drivers yield to pedestrians at crosswalks?

Yes it would be physical barrier, basically a small pavement in between two kerbs.
As to your point, the cycle lane would have to be of a decent width that is true, so there would be no half arseing it. As it is now it works as a narrow lane because you don’t really need to ride in the lane. You can ride wherever, people can walk wherever. You can stick a tree in the middle of a cycle lane, you can park a truck there. Nobody cares.

2 Likes

Just been out on the street and the police were going nuts taking pictures of illegally parked scooters. They normally drive up and down moving the cars on, but they don’t normally care about the scooters.

2 Likes

I thought of this topic yesterday while stopped at a red light. I noted the car coming into the intersection from the left wanting to make a left turn. The road I am on has two lanes in each direction. I noted the car misjudged how much to turn and was headed directly for a car parked on the right side of the road. Luckily the car stopped in time and backed up into the intersection to get into position to make the left turn.

I mean…how bad are your driving skills if you cannot negotiate making a left turn onto a two lane road? What chance is there that this driver pays any attention to pedestrians? Hell, he/she almost hit a parked car near the intersection.

Is it only me who is constantly seeing cars having much difficulty to make left and right turns?

7 Likes

Nope. Scooters, too. Many people can’t even stay inside the lines in a gentle curve

At this point i often adjust my speed going into corners so I’m not beside anyone

3 Likes

Maybe they just don’t know where they’re going:

3 Likes

I used to remember the driving test to be really hard, you have to be fairly skilled to pass, and back then you had to test on a stick shift which made it harder.

So what happened? Are they just rubber stamping driver license like a fishing license? German drivers are polite because it’s extremely hard to get a license in Germany, and it’s common for most to fail the test a few times before you finally pass. Why can’t Taiwan do the same? They should make it harder to get a license, you can take the MRT anyways.

German drivers are more polite because their society has realised traffic is dangerous. Taiwanese society has yet to discover this.

4 Likes

You would think all the news coverage of horrible accidents that people would get it.

Taiwanese are weird. They follow mask rules so religiously yet they ignore traffic rules. Why? If Taiwanese are so afraid of dying then they should follow traffic rules so people don’t die.

6 Likes

Don’t know how the test is done now but in the past my relatives sent their kids to the south of Taiwan to driving schools. Pay your money seemed to ensure they would let you pass the driving test portion at their school.

The scooter test is done on a minigolf type track that mocks real roads, ability to navigate a left turn at a busy intersection is never tested. The whole test is a mockery.

I especially like the shoulder check. Seriously, go watch it some time. People navigate to the part of the test where they are supposed to shoulder check, and as instructed they exaggerate their head turns to either side. This does not teach them to actually shoulder check, or test if they do it when driving. Most people don’t. People learn to pass the test to get a license, but that doesn’t mean they can drive

2 Likes

Here’s a proof

3 Likes

Many drivers turn the wheel with one hand. The other hand is for using the phone.

1 Like

Perhaps the driver was drunk?

Guy

in 90% of the accidents I read about, they weren’t drunk.

No, it’s because they’re shit drivers and should never be allowed to drive again.

They could just toughen up traffic enforcement and start revoking licenses left and right.

7 Likes

In England I was taught to wait and let others pass if you are doing a maneuver on the road. Nobody follows this rule in Taiwan. The truck driver was not willing to let the second scooter driver pass, two was passed his quota.

3 Likes

Someone follow Google map :laughing:

Generally speaking I would say driving skills of most drivers here are bad…like really bad. It’s a product of the poor education, shit and inconsistent urban design, and lack of consistent enforcement (with real punishments) of even the basic rules so it kind of all blends together to make the problem worse.

Very often you can see a lot drivers start turning upon the front end of the vehicle entering the intersection rather than getting close to the middle and performing a 90 degree turn. It’s why you see in the news sometimes drivers driving straight into safety islands and getting their car stuck or flipping themselves over. They don’t have the concept or idea of only start turning when you can successfully complete the turn even on a near empty road or intersection. Or others who see green light and just go without examining the intersection or if any folks are still crossing…seen so many people get close to run over because there are no crosswalk lights so they have no idea how much time is left and drivers/scooters don’t care to wait, zero patience. So a poor understanding of the law and basic rules. Look at how many drivers yield here. If driver’s yield, they often stop very close to the pedestrian or drive very fast and hit the brakes late which makes people unsure if they will run through or stop, not to mention all the other cars and scooters that will just drive around anyway. Overall poor situation/spatial awareness which even translates when people are just walking around.

The other day I was sitting on the 2nd floor of a cafe drinking some coffee on the corner of an intersection and looking down at traffic it hurt my brain to see how bad people are at basic driving skills.

It can get better, however, it requires a lot of work on all fronts, not just increasing the fines.

9 Likes

I don’t think they saw the motorcycle, although they should have hear it bombing down the road.

One person doing a stupid whatever the truck was doing, plus one person racing on public roads. The latter won’t be able to do it again,

1 Like

So that’s why people get loud ass scooters, because it makes them faster? I heard at night a lot of people will go racing their car/scooter… you know illegal street races. Some will even put weird shit on their plate so the cameras can’t catch them. Do police pull people over for this? I know in the states if you put stuff on your license plate the police will basically stop you and give you a really hard time (or you know, “accidentally” shoot you). Or do people reviewing the speeding camera ever note the model/make/description of the car with the anti-camera plate and to have the police look for it?

It’s amazing that cops here can catch a thief or murderer within hours, but can’t catch people with tampered plates? What if it was a murderer driving a getaway car with tampered plate?

4 Likes

German drivers are polite? They might follow the rules, but I wouldn’t call that polite. In my experience, a lot of German drivers are easily-triggered road maniacs. :grin: