How do you cope with NOT being home

Hi
My aunt is having her 60th birthday bash and the parents are sending the hinting texts already.

I hate missing all these big events…I’m getting at that age (or shall I say my family is) where everyone is over 60. I used to be close to my cousins etc, but after 7 yrs in Taiwan everyone has kids that I haven’t even met etc…and there is just nothing keeping the group together.

But I still LOVE my uncles and aunts. But now the texts are often about hospitals and surgeries etc. I would love to be home…if it wasn’t for the crime, and the lack of electricity (some areas are without electricity three times a week for 3 hours at a time) and the increase of cost.(everything seems to be going up with 30%) I know I can’t be there…

it just hurts sometimes…Like now…I have to consider spending money to go there, or save it for when my parents or I need it…and I propably won’t go.

just sulking about it…

I think you have to get back once a year. Go when air ticket prices are at their lowest (usually in the spring and mid-fall), and stay for a week or 10 days. It costs some, but it is worth it. Will you really spend that much money going for a visit?

If it just isn’t in the budget and you have a bit of extra time and energy, why not take on a part-time job or tutor a few students privately? Put the money in a fund used exclusively for travel. Pretty soon, you’ll have the money you need and you won’t be digging into the fund you’re readying for your parents’ use.

I’m married and have five kids, two of whom live in the US. Can you imagine what it costs to get everyone together? You’ve got it easy, friend :wink:.

I go once a year…for about 3 weeks…and it usually costs about NT90 000 for everything.
It still doesn’t seem like enough…(time, that is…:slight_smile:

Ah, I see.

The only comfort I can offer is to say that I know how you feel. I’d love to be home 3-6 months out of the year but I’m kinda busy here with work, kids, and such. If Taiwan had fewer elevator smokers, betel nut spitters, nasty drivers, loudmouthed bigots, dog poop leavers, and the like, I’d probably just fine with a month or so a year.

[quote=“Battery9”]I go once a year…for about 3 weeks…and it usually costs about NT90 000 for everything.
It still doesn’t seem like enough…(time, that is…:slight_smile:[/quote]

I havent been back to Australia since 1997 and that was for two weeks… before that 1994.

Just stop going back after awhile you will forget about missing out on everything.

Of course you could invite all your rellies over here.