How do you keep your feet dry or do you

For people who need to actually be out in the rain to get to.work the only real option for taiwans heavy rains and heat/humidity causing sever sweating is wearsandals and the like and have a pair of dry shoes packed in your to change at work. Or buy a car. Unless you live in an area that has luxuries like mrt, sidewalks etc, wet is a way of.life.

2 Likes

In general I am no fan of yankeedom, but credit where credit is due. The lifetime guarantee doesn’t hurt (they honor it, too).

Brought six pairs to Taiwan. Wife sometimes wears a pair of knee-length ones in the winter that come up mid-thigh on her. Comfy, too.

2 Likes

I got a pair that I can put on… takes an Act of God to get them off.

2 Likes

Smartwool socks are truly the best. I’ve had a few pairs for years and they just last and last.

You gotta wear them more often! Put a few dozen miles on ‘em. Loosens them up.

This is my go-to method. Stuff the newspaper in, then put them in the walk-in closet with the dehumidifier on. Works like a charm.

Just do what Taiwanese do, wear nylon men’s socks.

The smell… :nauseated_face:

But cute …

Is that what causes it? I have to stop buying those cheap things at night market.

But they’re just so many sock shops I can’t help it…

Yes. They don’t wick moisture away at all, causing the smell to rapidly amplify.

I can’t wear Hunter boots as my calfs are to big!
I used to ride horse’s in the UK riding boots had to be hand made to fit over my calfs, so I would be only one turn up at hunt meeting wearing cheapo farmers wellies on horseback.

Have a giant women model for mens line socks that are designed to look like female hooker attire in a conversation about smelly bodies in tropical climates.

You, sir, have officially helped me stop eating for the evening.

We should put up a new warning label: NSWE

I told myself that I would never wear shoes with holes as part of the design. It’s either going to be slippers or real shoes.

Saw these for $999 at Decathlon so gave them a try and love them.

Good when raining, great when hot, ok to wear around the city and into shops, good if need to jump into some water, ok for hiking except in lots of sticks or things that can get inside shoe, great protection from old women stepping on feet at night market.

Maybe Yeezy’s are next.

Easy answer, dont wear enclosed shoes. I was stubborn as all hell as well. Sandals are crap for our bodies, but you can buy ones with decent soles, or add inserts, that are very much open.

Its not good to live somewhere with 70 to 99% humidity year round and usually pretty warm/hot and keep your skin enclosed in sweat…shoes are for people that go from ac box to ac box and for special occasions (weddings, funrals, business related get togethers etc) . Otherwise they are used for hard work like hiking and are taken off immediately after taking a break/stopping. I havent had fungal infections for many years now after i stopped wearing socks and shoes. and i HATE not wearing socks. But eventually i hated infections more…

3 Likes

My setup:
-For the really rainy days I got a pair of wellies.
-When going out I wear sneakers and cotton socks
-At home no socks/shoes.
-When going hiking, I wear Boots and Wool socks.

If you have problems with fungal infections try socks with separate toes and a good creme. Powder can make your skin too dry and damage the protective film, thus making it easier for the fungus to get a hold.

2 Likes

Yea I wear sandals all the time for the same reason. Even in the states I wear sandals unless work dress code demands that I can’t. Texas is pretty hot and humid most the time too and Americans have an intense dislike for people taking off their shoes. The only time I don’t wear sandals is when it’s too cold to.

2 Likes

Interestingly, at least for me, infections are never on toes, they are always on the tops of the foot where the skin is much thinner. Even taiwanes often get these infections in the wetter and hotter parts of the island (i saw it all the time in Pingdong) in the armpits, elbows, knees and.necks. i have as well.

Strangely, we got an infection in an experimental mushroom program of athletes foot that an american collegue was conducting. The conversation on climate and body followed to conclude atheltes foot when he checked. I forgot which species it was, but it came out with the most beautiful shade of pink.

As an American. I absolutely can’t understand why americans wear shoes in the house. Disgusting.

But in Taiwan, it never happens…

Yea, in most culture you are supposed to remove your shoes when entering someone’s home. It’s considered good etiquette. Because your shoes are full of dirty stuff that you don’t want to track into people’s houses. Plus the way I see it is the purpose of shoes is to protect your feet from sharp objects that grounds often contain, and sandals do this job perfectly.