How do you pray?

I’m mainly asking Christians but other theists welcome to reply.
Do you pray alone or in a group ? Do you pray a standard prayer, prayer of wants , prayers of thanks? Do you pray just walking around , driving etc? Maybe you have a prayer spot a particular place that you like to pray at other than a church like a quite spot in nature.
Is there a favorite prayer that you like ?

Typically pray alone.
Do the Rosary.
Sometimes while riding a bike, or driving, or some other thing that doesn’t require too much effort.
Each decade I’ll dedicate to a single specific person (saying his/her name), usually a very close family member; or a group of people who are related together in some way (not necessarily by blood, and saying their names individually, too).
If someone at a specific time has some issue or event he/she is going through, I’ll specifically mention that as well.

I also keep a running count of each full mystery, as I have a specific goal in mind long term.

2 Likes

I had to visit a priest, I was having serious issues with depression and stuff. Good thing he was there.

1 Like

I don’t know about the catholic church but in Baptist and Pentecostal they have bible study classes , which is not a one way discussion it is a group of people who study a passage or book in the bible and talk about what that means to them…two way dialogues with the pastor guiding the discussion .

1 Like

I know about protestant churches, I’ve been going there a lot. I’ve had a lot of problems with “thoughts and prayers” and “too busy because I gotta pick up my kids from school”. Not really a problem with catholic priests… they serve the church.

How about meditation?

I can’t do it. My thoughts are a million miles an hour and it can’t quiet down at all without using medication. I need low dose of xanax to sleep.

Using a Ouija board is a form of prayer. In essence it’s giving explicit or implicit permission to a non-human entity to enter this earthly realm and use its powers to do evil. Without this permission evil spirits are forbidden to enter our realm. God gave this earthly realm to us as our own in order to pursue our primary purpose which is to freely choose who and where we want to be for eternity.

God himself respects this freedom and won’t exert his own benevolent influence in our physical realm without our explicit permission. That’s where prayer comes in. It’s turning our hearts into willing portals for God’s miraculous intervention in our lives.

A key factor in the efficacy of a person’s prayer though is their spiritual state. A spirit clouded with selfishness, greed, envy, hate will choke off its ability to serve as a portal for God’s healing powers, rendering that person’s prayers sterile.

2 Likes

I know you won’t take my advice, but middle- and long-distance sports (done at some intensity) ensure that you are only thinking in the present, at least during the high intensity portion of the workout.

Please don’t come back right away with a reason not to do what I recommend. At least act like you’ll consider it.

1 Like

I’m already doing workout at the gym. I’m not sure what other sports I can do… I think sports would be more workable in colder climate than Taiwan.

See you came back with a negative.

1 Like

Mispost