How do you pronounce Nietzsche?

Ah, British English here. No rhotic ‘r’.

‘nee-chuh’ and ‘nee-cher’ represent more-or-less the same sound to me.

2 Likes

Same here. Nee chr, as in the Taiwanese pronunciation of eat: chr fan

1 Like

Brits love to add an “r” to words that have none and omit the sound from words with them. Still, I’ve never heard Nietzche with an “r” either.

Is anyone here German? I want a confirmed pronunciation, because I’m getting neetshee from a colonial friend.

Yeah, here. See my comment above ^^

Apart from that, calling the German speaking community @slawa @FenjaJie @hannes @chabuduo @Liam_Og @robi666 @Roflmauer @57 @Clearwater57 @bbmt

3 Likes

How you pronounce niche the word? I hear it differently.

I says neesh

1 Like

@olm already linked the audio file where you can listen to the correct pronunciation. It’s a bit like nee-cze (cze like the start of czech republic). In a pickle you can also use Google translate on your phone and press the speaker symbol. It has improved a lot in recent years.

2 Likes

My American chum is getting it wrong. Now for the tricky bit - convincing him that this is the case.

3 Likes

…which Myanmar strangely copied, for its own name at least.

As the article notes, the /ˈniːtʃi/ (nee-chee) pronunciation is not German. So if we say it’s correct, we should add that it’s only correct in basically the same way that “Confucius” is correct for 孔夫子 (Kong Fuzi).

2 Likes

nicely done!

1 Like

Hey, it’s as American as trousers! Ask Mr. Burns. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Very unusual to have a Prussiam claim Polish descent!

Maybe he falsely claimed that to increase his underdog status? thereby making his philosophy more appealing?

1 Like

I think everyone has figured out the Nietzsche guy by now, could we move on to Lenin?

I’ll start with: Lay(up) Nin(ja)

Btw. not if sure anyone has noticed, the discussions here are supposed to be in German… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I am a German native speaker, but this word is not very common, and it’s a proper name.
Spelling and pronunciation do both not conform to common German standards.
The result is that uneducated Germans hardly know how to spell it, much less how to pronounce it.

The result is usually:

Same here. Nee chr , as in the Taiwanese pronunciation of eat: chr fan
[ni:t$ə]
ə means schwa, like in German “Straße” or British “the” (when it’s not pronounced “thee”. To make this into an “ee” is not ok.
$ means English “sh”, German “sch”.
i: means long “ee”

Educated Germans may try to pronounce it following the spelling, according to general rules.
The result will be
[ni:ts$ə]
So they insert an s between t and $. But when speaking fast, you can hardly hear this s.

I myself would pronounce it with this s, and I only learned today that pronunciation without s is acceptable according to authoritative Duden, and is maybe even more correct.

I don’t know how Nietzsche himself pronounced his name.

2 Likes

Never done this, ever, probably too lazy for this kind of accuracy. :kissing_heart: