How do you resize an animated gif?

How do you resize an animated gif?

Brian

Just edit the frames one by one and compile it again.
If you’re using Linux, you can use Gimp to edit the frames.
For windows, my preference is “Ulead Photoimpact”.
Actually i use 2 softwares to edit gif files. I use Ulead Photo impact to edit the frames. Then i port the frames to Ulead gif animator and make the new gif file.
There is an easier way though if you dont want to buy all these softwares, and all you want is to visually manipulate your image and not its file size.

If you just want it to look smaller, then just embed it into an HTML page and manipulate the size from the HTML source.
(Note, if you expand small images on HTML pages, the image resolution might not be satisfactory.)
Here’s the code in case you don’t know

[code]

You can also use the style tags for manipulating the size

Or use Cascading style sheets

[/code]
Sample:1

Sample: 2

Sample: 3

Anyway if you want to edit the actual image and not just how it appears. Just go to www.ulead.com They have Free 15 day trials of their products.

Hope this helped :wink:

Thanks very much for your detailed explanation, but unfortunately you lost me on this line:

I’m not very technical :blush:

I guess it’s not something I can easily do myself.

Brian

Ok let me phrase it this way. GIF files’ consists of frames.
eg

frame 1 is a picture of you raising you hand
frame 2 is a picture of you with your hands down
Now you put those two picture together just like a video file.
That makes a gif file.

Now some image editors would not let you edit gif files and some would just edit the first frame. Me i use Ulead photo impact which lets you extract all the frames in a gif file (I believe Adobe photoshop can do that too). But this is not enough. I use Ulead gif animator compile them (to put the frames together.)

But basically the only software you will need would be a GIF animator or editor. Try the one i use, Ulead Gif Animator on www.ulead.com
They have like 15 day trials of their software.
Now if you don’t want to buy it, try this website
gifworks.com/
It lets you edit or make gif files online. No need to install anything on your PC. And best of all, it’s free! Good for beginners, it has a pretty simple and easy to use layout.

Now if you want to install something like that in your PC for free, try
digfrontiers.com/demo/animLite10w.zip
This is LEGALLY the closest to a free one that i could find.
Now this is also a trial version but it will still work after 15 days unlike others. But it doesn’t have an uninstaller bundled with it. And its not really as good as Ulead’s or Adobe’s editors if you ask me.

Now that sounds good. Actually the gif I want is a mere 2 frames, so I may be able to manage. I’ll give it a go. Cheers.

Brian

No problem, i like helping people especially on tech topics. It keeps me up to date on my current events, hehe! :smiley:

I need to resize my gif, but in the file size sense. I want to compress it, but I can’t get the one I’ve downloaded to do it.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]I need to resize my gif, but in the file size sense. I want to compress it, but I can’t get the one I’ve downloaded to do it.[/quote]Gifs are compressed with LZW (Lempel-Ziv-Welch) which is lossless, unlike jpgs which use descreet consines and are lossy by ignoring the higher frequency consines. Can you have lossy gifs ? I Don’t really see why not. I hope that answers your question :idunno:

By any chance if you have Adobe ImageReady, you can change the dimensions of the gif file and also optimize to smaller file size by lowering color numbers and dithering. All take one or two mouse clicks.

Can you get this feature to work for humans, too? I can think of a few people… :wink:

I was the marketing guy for the latest version of Ulead GIF Animator. It is by far the best program for making or editing GIF animations. It is a little convoluted in some of its controls, but after you know how it works, the controls are actually time-saving. The added bonus of GIF Animator is that it lets you “round-trip” edit with Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro on a raster level and with PhotoImpact (also the marketing guy on that product in the past) on a vector level.

The bottom line of this is that GIF Animator is OBJECT ORIENTED. This means that not only do you have multiple frames, but multiple objects (either raster, vector or both) that can be placed, tweened or transparency changed over frames. Text effects, video effects are plenty too.

I have one extra copy of GIF Animator 5 sitting on my shelf unopened that I have to give away to the first person who PMs me. It is Windows-only software. The winner will be announced on this thread.

There is a winner!
Congratulations daasgrrl!

A big thank you to pinesay - and for anyone having further problems, requests etc. for changes to animated gifs, well, you know who to PM! But no promises until I see if it likes me :slight_smile:

PaintShop Pro v6 has an animation editor that can do it as well. Just use the menu link Animation->Resize.

Unless Jasc Paint Shop Pro did some major revision to their Animation Shop 3 software since I last reviewed it for marketing purposes, it is rather underpowered compared to Ulead GIF Animator 5. GIF Animator is not frame-based, but object-based, allowing you to combine raster (bitmap) objects, vector (line art) objects and text in an object manager list. The objects can be moved per frame, making animation much easier. Correct me if I am wrong: Animation Shop is strictly frame-based, meaning that object-level and vector-based animation is out of the question. Everything is done on the raster level.

Unless Jasc Paint Shop Pro did some major revision to their Animation Shop 3 software since I last reviewed it for marketing purposes, it is rather underpowered compared to Ulead GIF Animator 5. GIF Animator is not frame-based, but object-based, allowing you to combine raster (bitmap) objects, vector (line art) objects and text in an object manager list. The objects can be moved per frame, making animation much easier. Correct me if I am wrong: Animation Shop is strictly frame-based, meaning that object-level and vector-based animation is out of the question. Everything is done on the raster level.[/quote]
Sounds right, but I don’t know for sure. I’ve only fiddled with animated GIFs twice, and never even seen the other package. Sounds like it isn’t just a simple editor, though, but a complete animation package.