How do you type pi in Windows?

Just curious. Don’t flog me!

… and no use of Word allowed! (okay, NOW I’d better prepare for a floggin’)

Amazingly it appears that you are not the 1st to ask this question…
images.google.com/images?q=pi+in … rch+Images

and there was i thinking he was talking about the symbol for pi, not the value :blush:

[quote=“Traveller”]and there was i thinking he was talking about the symbol for pi, not the value :blush:[/quote]You mean this this?

You might be right. Its available on one of those seldom used programs whos name I can never remember…word map or something like that.
Different fonts offer different symbols.
added:
Thanks truant…character map…thats the one.

Kinda tricky to use, but it has a lot of symbols you need on occasion but never know how the hell to type them.

like this:

π

if you go to accessories->system tools-> character map there is a whole bunch of stuff in there not found on the keyboard.

Π
? Use character map in start->All Programs->Accessories->System tools

That is what I meant.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]
Π
? Use character map in start->All Programs->Accessories->System tools[/quote]
I said type

It says the code is U+03A0 for Greek Capital Letter Pi, or Π, and U+03C0 for Greek Small Letter Pi, or π. Can I actually type those codes to get the characters?

[quote=“Quirky”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]
Π
? Use character map in start->All Programs->Accessories->System tools[/quote]
I said type

It says the code is U+03A0 for Greek Capital Letter Pi, or Π, and U+03C0 for Greek Small Letter Pi, or π. Can I actually type those codes to get the characters?[/quote]
if you look at the bottom right of the character map, you see a keystroke, if there is one available. Looks like there isn’t one of Pi…but, how often are you going to type that anyway? You can just copy/paste it once it is in your document.

Change the font to Symbol then type ‘p’

[color=darkblue]Now that’s friggin’ cool![/color]

Another way would be to press ALT and type the number 227 on the numeric keyboard. (Extended ascii).

C A K E

doh!

But I got

So you are using a OS with a different codepage settings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII

Why can’t you just ‘insert’ symbol? Am I missing something?

exactly right, but apparently the OP wants to be able to type it. I can’t see why it’d be such a big deal to need to type it :idunno:

Why not just reset your computer keyboard to the Greek alphabet input system. Wouldn’t that be the answer?

If you’re using MS Word, you can just assing a shortcut key to it. Go to Insert —> Symbol. Select pi as the symbol, then click “Assign shortcut key.”

It will only work in Word, though.