How do you use the term 'xiaojie'?

How do you use the term ‘xiaojie’?

• A. I’m a female foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their twenties
  • B. I’m a female foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their thirties
  • C. I’m a female foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their forties
  • D. I’m a female foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their fifties
  • E. I’m a female foreigner, and use xiaojie for women of any age
  • F. I’m a male foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their twenties
  • G. I’m a male foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their thirties
  • H. I’m a male foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their forties
  • I. I’m a male foreigner, and use xiaojie for teenagers through women in their fifties
  • J. I’m a male foreigner, and use xiaojie for women of any age
  • K. I’m not a foreigner, dammit
  • L. I’m neither male nor female

0 voters

Well, how?

There’s also a shortened form of “xiaojie” - “x.j.” (pronounced “ex-jay”). For example, “Look at that man-slave carrying his xj’s poodle.”

You forgot the “I don’t use the term unless speaking Chinese.”

Damn, I knew I forgot something! The poll cut off my last option, too. Meanie! :raspberry:

[quote=“almas john”]There’s also a shortened form of “xiaojie” - “x.j.” (pronounced “ex-jay”). For example, “Look at that man-slave carrying his xj’s poodle.”[/quote]Its a term of great respect…

I’m a “J.” I get a giggle from the Amahs when I call 'em shao jai’s.

Me too. In English I might use ma’am, but there’s no good substitute in Chinese.

DB -
Thanks for confirming that about ‘Ma’am.’
Thats the reason I use it also…looking for a polite term…plus the giggle factor.

Yeah, you should make it clear this is for English-language conversations, not Chinese, where it’s obvious you would use it.

I use it as a term of mild condescension with female Taiwanese friends. Like when she doesn’t get the joke and I pull a mock reprimand with “Xiaojie….” (draw both words out).

I also use it to flatter the obasang in the shop when I ask her how much for the stonker donkers.

How is it that there is no option for those of us who don’t use it?

That’s what I’d like to know, i.e. whether foreign females use the term and, if so, how.

Me too. In English I might use ma’am, but there’s no good substitute in Chinese.[/quote]

What about A-yi? EDIT:or bomu?

If they look older than 20 or so I usually call them Ah-Mh.

Well on the post he posted prior to posting the poll he pretty much professed “if they use it, how do they use it” but the poll he posted on this post we have no prerogative to pick "I don’t use it.

Me too. In English I might use ma’am, but there’s no good substitute in Chinese.[/quote]

What about A-yi? EDIT:or bomu?[/quote]

“bomu” has a stronger connotation of “old” than “ma’am”. I’d call a woman in her 40s “ma’am” in the US, but not “bomu” in Taiwan.

I heard that some people use xiao jie as a term for prostitute or something ?? …

You would if the damned poll function didn’t cut off the last option! Or if it would let me edit to fix it!!!

Anyone who uses the term, “Dui-ah!” gets called a xioajie.

You would if the damned poll function didn’t cut off the last option! Or if it would let me edit to fix it!!! [/quote]
Suuuuuuuuuuure.

Preach it. :bravo: