How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

Hey if you’re summoned back, it’s because you have work! And in these times, that is a plus.

Guy

2 Likes

Which would normally be a good thing, but during Covid times I’d much rather be in the classroom than slowly going stir crazy in my cramped apartment with my under stimulated toddler.

2 Likes

Chung Yuan Christian University, in Chungli, is looking for an English teacher for their Department of Applied Linguistics and Language Studies. You will need at least a Master’s Degree. More information here: Full-time faculty position available in the ALLS Department at Chung Yuan Christian University - 中原大學應用外國語文學系 (cycu.edu.tw)

1 Like

The Center for English Language Teaching at Wenzao Ursuline University of Languages, in Kaohsiung, is looking for five adjunct professors. You will need a Ph.D. More information here:

教育部全國大專教師人才網 (moe.edu.tw)

Those seem like high expectations for 5 part-time positions and to be submitted in less than two weeks. I do notice they don’t require native speakers or a relevant degree, though, so maybe they already know who they’re going to hire…

1 Like

Fo Guang University, in the Yilan area, is looking for an English instructor. You will need at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

https://personnel.fgu.edu.tw/zh_tw/Campus_recruiters/佛光大學語文教育中心徵英文專案教師-87413256

2 Likes

National Chi Nan University, in Puli, is looking for a full-time English lecturer for their Language Teaching and Research Center. You will need at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

國立暨南國際大學-國立暨南國際大學語文教學研究中心誠徵專案講師公告 (ncnu.edu.tw)

2 Likes

National Kaohsiung University of Science and Technology is seeking two professors for their Department of Applied English. You will need a Ph.D. More information here:

國立高雄科技大學應用英語系徵聘2名專任或專案教師公告 (nkust.edu.tw)

1 Like

Da Yeh University, in the Changhua county area, is seeking a full-time “Project English” lecturer for their International Language Center. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

1 Like

National Yunlin University of Science and Technology, in the Yunlin county area, is looking for a full-time lecturer for their language center. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:
國立雲林科技大學-語言中心 - 語言中心誠聘編制外專案教師 (yuntech.edu.tw)

Kainan University, located near Taoyuan city, is looking for a part-time lecturer for their Department of Applied English. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:
Kainan University, Department of Applied English Position of Lecturer-MOST

1 Like

Chang Gung University, in the Taoyuan area, is looking for a full-time lecturer for their language center. The job starts in August 2022. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

Full Time English Faculty Wanted(長庚大學通識中心英文科誠徵外籍教師一名) (cgu.edu.tw)

1 Like

Providence University, in Taichung, is looking for a full-time lecturer for their Foreign Language Center. Must have at least a Master’s degree. More information here:

National Taichung University of Science and Technology, in Taichung, is looking for a professor for their Language Center. Must have a Ph.D. More information here:

https://tjn.moe.edu.tw/jobshow-detail.php?num=14059

1 Like

Fo Guang University, in the Yilan area, is looking for a full-time lecturer for the General Education Center. Must have at least a Master’s degree. The job starts in February 2022. More information here:

1 Like

Tzu Chi University, in Hualien, is looking for a full-time professor for their Department of English Language and Literature. Must have a Ph.D. More information here:

1 Like

Are people with Ph.D.s actually going to Taiwan to take these jobs? Do these jobs pay enough to appeal to someone with a Ph.D.? What is it about these listings of jobs here that is only going to be accomplish-able by someone with a Masters degree or even a Ph.D?

3 Likes

They seem targeted towards those already in Taiwan who have gone for a PhD, rather than trying to lure people from other countries.

Probably not, but most people with PhDs are doing it because they’re passionate about their field of study, not because they think they’ll rake in cash. That said, professors are criminally underpaid.

Because creating curriculum and teaching university courses that rely on specialized fields of knowledge like economics, cross-culture communication, literature, etc. takes a lot more training than doing song and dance routines in a buxiban class.

This is a nice thread. It helps people find good jobs here. Stop trying to stir the pot.

4 Likes

Yes they are.

The job market in North America—at least for nonadjuct positions—has cratered. You wouldn’t believe the quality of the applicant pool we’ve seen lately, as these folks are looking for work.

Guy

2 Likes

I was genuinely curious.

Edit - I’m not trying to “stir the pot”, my question is based on my experience and situation.