How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

i have known some foreign professors who getting tenure position in TW university
beside they are talented, their field is dire needed for Taiwan

or this

They are both working hard and find a sweet spot ^^

for public univ, the competition is harder, as many Taiwanese graduate abroad also want to join. But you get better protection as the university partial expense is covered by the government
For private univ, there are two types, one is living on its own, the other are backed with big industry group, such as Mingchi University of Sci and Tech is backed by Formosa Group, LungHwa university of Tech is backed by PEWC (making cables). Joining the second type private univ will be better

Yet once again . . . these are full-time faculty, not project based . . . employed without a formal tenure system. Just to be sure we are in the realm of the factual here, as of course you would want to be, and are clear about this particular topic.

Guy

At my private uni, the only requirement was that contract lecturers had to publish a paper every 5 years. But no one even checked on that. I published my first paper (in a low impact domestic journal) at the end of my 6th year. I left my uni on my own accord after 7 years because while my job was stable there was no opportunity for advancement without a PhD. It was kind of dead end. They actually gave me a little crap for giving about 3 months notice that I wanted to leave, as my next contract had already been approved by the hiring committee even though I never indicated I wanted to stay. Luckily, they didn’t threaten to fine me or anything and I left on pretty good terms in the end. Still do committee work on the side for them, and now working as a research fellow trying to get my first Q1 paper published at a better public uni. Maybe that might eventually lead to a PhD, but I’m torn about it. PhD is a true endurance test.

2 Likes

If you have the right supervisor, it can be very easy. Some people slide right through.

1 Like