How does one find a university teaching position in Taiwan?

Inhuman-ities professors

2 Likes

Probably just paying someone to write them. I’m sure people do that I’ve seen ads

https://twitter.com/MIT_CSAIL/status/1574428593702117377

https://twitter.com/bakztfuture/status/1574567835850113024

3 Likes

7 Likes

Posting for a friend. If you have a relevant PhD (the range is fairly broad), you might want to check it out.

1 Like

Found this while browsing:

You have to download the Word doc. It’s in English and Chinese. For an English lecturer. Requires a Masters (or above) degree in TESOL, Curriculum and Instruction, Applied Linguistics, or a related field. But there’s only 11 days left to apply, I think.

Forget the practical details; let’s get to the fundamentals of a successful academic job search, as summarized by this funny guy working in Copenhagen. :grin:

Succeeding in the academic job market is simple:

- Publish in high-impact journals
- Publish in a university press
- Obtain grant funding
- Teach early and well
- Be luckier than you currently are
- Blackmail established scholars into retirement
- Time-travel back to the 1970s

Source: https://twitter.com/NC_Renic/status/1746571634536808797

Guy

3 Likes

is this how one finds a tenured staff position at a uni here in Taiwan with only a master’s degree?

All of that helps, but guanxi/關係 I think also matters a lot more here than in the west…

I suspect the “time travel” suggestion may be most helpful here, at least in the public university system, where it’s become very hard (not impossible, just very hard) to hire full time people with a master’s degree as their terminal degree. There are exceptions in fields like translation where professional knowledge held by non-PhD holders can be acknowledged.

The private unis in Taiwan, on the other hand, may still hire using entirely different rules.

Guy

Let me also pick up, separately, on the “tenured” part you mentioned. It’s important to understand that the university system in Taiwan does not have a formal tenure system. Faculty are considered full time (with lots of perks) or part time (with far lower pay and far fewer perks). Full time faculty can—and in some instances must—get promoted, say from the assistant professor rank to the associate professor rank. Such faculty members are however still subject to periodic evaluation and review. Getting to the associate professor level is not really the same as tenure, although I will say it seems that in the full time category one needs to behave extremely badly to merit dismissal. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Speaking of tenure. :clown_face: :clown_face: :clown_face: :laughing:

Taiwan’s Legislative Election Results - Politics / Taiwan Politics - Forumosa

Like how bad are we talking here?

you are wrong. In the taiwan Academic system, full-time can be divided into two types: project based full time and tenure full time. Both types need to follow a promote timeframe (like 5 years for Assistant Prof. to Associate Prof.) but for the tenure track, you are protected by the MOE laws in which basically once you are Associate Prof., it is very hard for the school to fire you. But if you are project-based type, no matter what level it is, once the school (actually the department you are working for) evaluates that your performance is low (paper publication, funding…) then you can be fired at any time.

3 Likes

Yes there are other workarounds sometimes named “project instructors” or something similar. Taiwan is good at workarounds when needed. It’s almost like it’s in our DNA.

Since you are obviously committed to precision, I’d like you to show me where “tenure” and “tenured” appear anywhere on any documents concerning faculty in Taiwan. I’ll wait for you to show us all. :popcorn:

Guy

what about lecturers who have less than a PhD and no intention of starting one. Do they get booted if they are not promoted or begin a PhD within 5 years or some other timeframe?

It used to be the case that you got booted out after five years. Now it doesn’t seem to be so.

1 Like

are there any big differences between private and public unis in this regard?

Sorry, I don’t know for sure.

it is very rare, and almost none.
7 years ago, I had tried hard to get a tenure position after a period of project-based assistant prof. role. But once I realized that your chance is rare, and you should find an optimal spot, where your research direction, your publication background are fit. And there is one or two available professors who will retire soon, and you have a good relationship with the major of professors in the department. Then you can hope.
Maybe the scenario changes now, but i am happy in the industry