How does one form a resume after working in one job as owner /teacher for more than fifteen years?

I have an opportunity to apply to various teaching jobs or paid teacher teaching training programs. Obviously, the standard Resume format that lists various jobs and duties would not be appropriate. Would my resume be better in the form of a detailed cover letter describing the goals and accomplishments of the business? Would there be any obligation to list previous cram schools?
This was not a big business but something run more like a family school to educate my kids, their classmates, and neighborhood children. Yes, the school had a license.
Though I enjoy teaching and working with children. Resume writing and self-promotion are not my strong suits. Thank you for your help.

The golden rule about resumes is keeping it short and easy to read, with everything confined to one page if possible. You can and should still describe what you did for this school and what it was all about, but keep it as clear and concise as possible.

You don’t have to, and really shouldn’t, list each and every school, especially if there are too many. The most recent ones or the ones where you worked longest are suitable.

I’d start with a little summary at the top right under your name and contact info, something like “ESL teacher with XX years of experience teaching at accredited cram schools such as X and X…enjoys teaching and working with children, highly skilled in X and X…my overall career goal is to X, which I aim to accomplish by doing X” or something to that effect. Then have the little blurb about your school and some information about your relevant work history, education, and any other qualifications.

You can look at the LinkedIn webpages of random people who seem to really have their shit together to get an idea of how to write about yourself professionally. Just search for some ESL teachers online and look at how they write about themselves.

1 Like

It’s called a functional resume. I use them for professional roles. I’ve had many compliments on them being clear and concise.

2 Likes

There are many resume/CV books in the market for your reference. I’m sure you can search for them and relevant websites online plus on YouTube.

Thank you for the good advice. This is my first time using LinkedIn.
I seem to be able to search for various jobs but when it comes to searching for people I need their names. If I don’t have a specific name oh, I can’t seem to find anyone.
I can’t seem to find the search that will allow me to look up people by the resumes or job objectives as if I were an employer.
Is that a special paid feature?

I believe you’ve got to join and make your own profile to be able to search by name. The functionality of the website is really quite limited if you aren’t a member. It’s free to join, though. Some special features are paid if you really need or want them.