How does your computer compare with others? (survey results)

This was a survey done by the makers of the award winning game HALF LIFE 2 (probably the best game on the planet). The information was collected by their software. Here is a link to the results: steampowered.com/status/survey.html

Mordeth,

I’m having trouble tweaking my machine to run at a premium speed.

I was wondering if you could help me into the direction fo smoothing it out. I’ve just started playing pc games again (bored with the Xbox). Doom 3 plays like ass and should be running at a much faster speed. Extremely choppy at high quality. Any Frames per second tweaks I could find? It’s been so damn long since I’ve messed with this machine that I have all but forgotten how I set up previous rigs to play HL.

My Rig:

Intel Pentium 3.2
512ram (shit)
NIVIDIA Geforce FX 5700LE
ASUS P4S800 motherboard
80gig Drive

For some odd reason, I think the video card isn’t up to par. Something isn’t driven properly but all seems fine other than it’s performance during game play.

Thoughts?

[quote=“M0NSTER”]Mordeth,

I’m having trouble tweaking my machine to run at a premium speed.

I was wondering if you could help me into the direction fo smoothing it out. I’ve just started playing pc games again (bored with the Xbox). Doom 3 plays like ass and should be running at a much faster speed. Extremely choppy at high quality. Any Frames per second tweaks I could find? It’s been so damn long since I’ve messed with this machine that I have all but forgotten how I set up previous rigs to play HL.

My Rig:

Intel Pentium 3.2
512ram (shit)
NIVIDIA Geforce FX 5700LE
ASUS P4S800 motherboard
80gig Drive

For some odd reason, I think the video card isn’t up to par. Something isn’t driven properly but all seems fine other than it’s performance during game play.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Boost your Ram to at least 1 Gig. Any open slots? You will notice a huge difference.
Your graphics card could be upgraded too. Radeons are my preference. I am using a X700 and it works great. Would have gotten the x800 but i was on a budget.

Those two upgrades should fix your problem.

Also, try cleaning out your PC. Dump any programs you havent used in a long time, run a few spybot cleaning programs, run an anti virus program, and defrag.

Derek’s advice is good. More ram always helps.

Geforce has 5XXX, 6XXX, and 7XXX cards. So your card is two generations old. But I could play Doom on my Radeon 8500…which is also two Generations old. Also the LE at the end of your cards name stands for Light Edition…which isn’t helpful with regards to playing new games.

I like Radeon as well. And something as cheap as the Radeon 9800pro 128 ram or preferably 256ram would let you play Doom 3 at an O.K. rate. You get what you pay for…and anything above 3 or 4 thousand N.T. should be enough. Don’t skimp on a graphics card.

I have two computers running in the same room one has a 9800pro (Radeon) the other a Nividia 7800GTX. And my roommate has the Nividia 6600 which wasn’t very costly. If you live in the Taoyuan area come by and you can compare the difference.

And on a side note, it’s been a few months since I bought my 20,000nt graphics card…if the price has come down enough…I might stick a 2nd one in there.

My advice: Tweak, and then Tweak some more…
and I’m not talking about nips, y’ken?

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html

Lots of helpful advice in there. Especially in his main site, and his forum.

Get more ram. A new Video Card. Maybe a new (bigger hard drive).
That’s if you want to keep your motherboard. But if you upgrade that, one should upgrade everything. Can add up to lots o’ cash.

Try some cost effective upgrades first (RAM & a new vcard). Get some tweaks goin’ on. :slight_smile:

Your ram is a major bottleneck.

It looks like I might need a complete overhaul which was my first guess. I thought I could switch the ram and bring it up to a gig and it would be fine but it looks like my graphics card is way outta date.

Not too sure what I’m going to do here. Maybe dump the motherboard and start from scratch. That’s going to take some coin in which I don’t have to spend at the moment.

There is nothing more annoying than lag during online play or a choppy FPS.

Mordeth, what card do you have? 20K? If that sucker costs 20K-big bling then there mustn’t be any lag/chop whatsoever.

Thanks for the advice guys.