How early is too early to look for housing?

I’ve been looking at 591 for the past two months. I can see that good housing goes fast, especially the ones labeled “可短期租賃”. My language school scholarship is technically 6 months, but I want to try and find a job afterwards, so the lease term is undetermined, but 6 months min. (I’ve never signed a lease, not sure how they work, really.)

Last time i lived abroad, i was in a tiny goshiwon. My hips were wider than the bed and my arms could reach wall to wall. It was OK, but I can’t do tiny accommodation again. And i need a stovetop.

I’m just kind of confused as to how to go about this.

I land in Taiwan the last week of August and have a hotel for two weeks. I reached out to random Americans who live there and they often recommended real estate agencies that give you apartments for $20,000…out of my budget. I’m going for $10k-$15k.

It seems like most short term places in Kaohsiung are either $5000/month with a tiny bathroom and tiny bed or expensive serviced apartments for people with money.

I’ve found a couple perfect places, but I don’t know if i should reach out now, 4-5 weeks ahead, or wait till maybe a week before i go, risking them not answering me because I’m a foreigner. Will reaching out early do any good, considering people tend to prefer those who are already there?

I’m stressing about this since I want to get my ARC as soon as possible when i get there.

Nope, 4-5 weeks ahead is too early.

Like you said - good places go fast, so no landlord/agent would hold one of these for you for that long. If they’re willing to, it’s either a red flag (they have issues finding a tenant because something is wrong or the place is overpriced) or they’re simply “lying” (in case of an agent, it’s probably more of a sales tactic to try to give you a “similar” apartment later).

On the other hand: Never rent a place without visiting it in person first.

What you should do: As soon as you land (or maybe actually from the airport / plane): Send out messages and schedule a viewing within the next 2-5 days.

Once you find a place that you like, tell the landlord / agent directly after the viewing (don’t wait a couple of days) that you want to take the place and sign a lease. Don’t hand over any money as a retainer unless you also sign the contract!

Especially do not pay any deposit from abroad to “hold” an apartment you have never seen!

Also, do not sign a contract if anything major is wrong that the landlord/agent promises to fix unless they write that down in the contract and you trust them to follow through!

Better sign for 6 months then - it’s easier to renew a lease than to get out of a lease early (that usually will result in you losing your deposit…).

Got it, thank you! I don’t know why on earth i didn’t think that you can renew a 6 month lease again if i end up wanting to stay for a year…clearly i’m ignorant about this sort of thing.

I’ll do what you said about messaging them from the airport. i’ll probably do it on the plane. :slight_smile:

The downside about a 6-month lease is that it might be slightly more expensive.

That’s usually negotiable, though. Aa part of the negotiation, you can still tell the agent / landlord that you’re planning to stay longer but because of your visa, you’re unable to sign anything longer than 6 months right now.

Renewal also isn’t guaranteed, but most landlords prefer it to finding a new tenant.

But in your case, I do feel the benefits of a 6-month lease outweigh the disadvantages.

…and don’t be rushed into signing for a place you don’t like: Better to book another week at a hotel / hostel / AirBnb than to sign for a place you’ll end up regretting.

this i know will be hard since i’m not the most patient person but i’m telling myself to look at 3 different places at least before signing, unless i find a realllly good one

Which school here in town? Should be lots of places to rent? I would look at the place in person since your staying at hotel first. There are lots of empty homes, rooms. (some owners maybe picky on who they rent to though)?

If your at Sun Yat Sun Uni, that area is nice as well area next to 國立高雄師範大學 is quite nice (had lunch today next to it)

I’ll be at Wenzao, so looking for places near Minzu 1st Rd or Kaohsiung Arena because i like to go out a lot. Need to be near a station or convenient bus stop. Kinda wish i was more central but Wenzao was the easiest to work with.

OK. Well maybe cheaper in that area. Maybe behind the school some cheaper older places, and small shops for students. (The schools back door/gate) The front, which is Minzhu road is a big road with lots of traffic (which I drive on often). There is a bus (#90 which I use to get to/from the bullet train). The road itself is not a good walking road, but nice area off the road behind it ok. The arena area is nice to live, but without a bike/scooter/car not sure its easy to get to school.

Also I hope your hotel is near the school, I do not recall hotels near that school but did pay attention to it.

Thank you for the insight. In that case i’ll try to find a place near the school. My hotel is on the same road as Wenzao, so it’s technically within walking distance. Super cheap and shabby hotel from the looks of it, but it’s the only one :confused:

Good, enjoy your stay and hope you adjust well. Good cheap local food in that area, which maybe or maybe not your taste and hope some of your home country food (mine ,Japanese foods here is ok, not very good and few very bad). I do find some nice Euro places recently though.

Did you find a nice place nearby? Hope the rains do not bother you, quite a bit more than a normal August but it’s been much cooler (At least cooler than Texas)

it’s not super nice, nor by the school, but it’ll do. I can take the bus. most landlords told me their place sold as soon as i told them im a foreigner (i was using AI to translate). I only just found a place i’ll be signing for in a few days. It was a painful process and i wasn’t the only student struggling to find a place. I need a stiff drink after this search…

And this is the first time living in a tropical country, so i’m not used to this hot rainy weather. it reminds me of bangkok. I can’t wait for the winter months.

Well after you get used the area, hope you find something you like better. (School also has some housing too?) Winter should be drier, but maybe not cooler than past two weeks 25-26C (Summer here is like Japan, hot and humid)

For drinks, Taiwan is a great place for single malt scotch. Not necessarily the local stuff, which is overpriced for what it is, but imported from Scotland. I went here:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/tQ6d18FLnj6LXbxGA?g_st=ic

There is also a bar in that area that I can recommend for drinks

https://maps.app.goo.gl/GyPmABEF8Zsv4x2N7?g_st=ic

The guy who owns it used to run the bar on the other side of the park, Eric, he’s a good dude

thank you!! that bar is very close to my prospective apartment. i will definitely check it out soon.

Looks nice, I will have go try them.

Hope you got used the city, and weekend nights out. A bit more people out tonight with fall cooler (for Taiwan cooler) weather. Fall weather here is nice.

I’ve been trying to go to bars but i’m not used to going alone :upside_down_face: I went to Bottoms Up and Parkside Bar, both are great but i feel so out of place haha.

Which night market is that in your pictures? i’ve just been going to Ruifeng but it’s extremely crowded every night. The food is great though.

Yeah… The best case scenario, in my experience, is some friendly but slightly strange older person takes interest, chats with you, gives you a drink.

Probably would be a more unpleasant vibe if I was a woman tho :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Other than that, making friends is both the best bet and the hardest part lol.

When I drink I mostly just do so at home or find somewhere nice and somewhat quiet outside. Put the drink in a non transparent cup so I don’t look too weird to the locals.

That’s more night craft/coffee market in this area (Sandu shopping zone, an older department store area). If you have a scooter (or a bike) , a lot smaller very local street markets, a few nice pubs (lots a small local ones) where it may take a few visits to make friends,

About Bottoms up, its like a sports bar, has some good American food, maybe not best place to make a new local friend though.

The night club, for Uni age would be the brickyard.

For American food, try Arkansas. Nice couple runs it, they have Ice cream bar on the ground level (has beer too).