How green is cycling?

An analysis of CO2 impact of cycling, if i’ve understood your concerns correctly

1 Like

I think this is what was at question. I wouldn’t assume it’s the case, but I’m sure it’s happened.

I expect import duties would deter such a practice.

No, totally of the mark. This is why splitting threads is so confusing…just copy it to a new thread rather than de rail the steam train and put it on mrt tracks. This thread title is a good one, but it totally misrepresents what people are talking about (as usual) right off the bat.

Link and pic for clarity so people dont think im on about something totally off topic.

I was being very facetious about how products are manufactured in a country (taiwan), exported abroad to distribution centers in another country, then shipped back to taiwan for sale as being a good thing. This type of system is absolutely the epitome of dumb! Strabgely people justify it as esential, economy blah blah. Like watching someone about to get fired justifying their usefullness in their company under the influence It’s sad actually.

And people get angry at environmentalists for saying we need to clean up our act or we are fucked. Which is factually true. What the progress mob, that tends to hate environmentalism are confusing is: the people burning down animal testing labs and spiking trees are different than the majority of “environmentalists” (ie. Those that like clean air and forest trails to enjoy without lung cancer) that say the above situation is functionally, logistically, finacially and environmentally RETARDED.

Keep cycling, it is fun. Not the point of the comments previous. That is all.

I agree, don’t think anyone has implied it’s a good thing. Aside from environment reasons, which are absolutely valid and important, for supply chain and cost reasons this is a bad idea, and realistically it wouldn’t happen all that often unless there was something specific that wasn’t in stock or what-have-you.

Considering VAT in UK is 20% and TW is 4%, not sure what import duties are for bikes into TW but UK complete bike import duty is 14%, so economically doesn’t make sense either, so think only in exceptional circumstances it would be done, I would have thought. Hence my original question!

One would think. I am not “the bike guy”, so cant comment specifically on this exact market. I was just replying to another post, which opened up this evolution of conversation. However in my fields, and fields i am freindly with, this is absolutely commonplace. Hence my level of sarcasm towards it…

Most frames are made in East Asia, mainly Taiwan and China. Of course a bike is much more than just a frame. But again, most of the components are made in Asia, although we can find a bit more examples of components still being made in the west. Therefore, no matter where the bike is finally assembled, in most cases it is going to involve some international shipping.

Some western brands assembly in Asia, but nowadays the most common way to operate is to at least do the bike assembly in their own facilities at home. Some also paint the frames at home too. How do these brands operate in Asia? I would say that they just ship the whole bike back here.

Unfortunately, majority of the brands you know and see are US/EU brands, so most of the manufacturing/assembly is done here in Asia.

There’s still some bespoked brands like Parlee, Bastion and Festka that do most of their own building/assembly in the west, but may buy their raw materials from the east. It is very common, for us in Taiwan (unless you are buying Merida and Giant), that these bikes go overseas and then come back to our shores.

Prime example is Canyon. Which most people know, is produced by Giant. However, since Canyon’s business model is direct to customer, it has to be shipped to their warehouse in Germany.

Yes, those are more like boutique brands. Actually I think I only knew about Parlee, so thanks for introducing the other two to me. These kind of brands can manufacture locally because of their low volume and price point.

It is kind of off-topic, but I always had the feeling that Taiwanese usually prefer western brands when buying mid to high-end bicycles. Talking to some of them, sometimes they don’t even know how huge (in bicycle terms) Merida and Giant are. And how well regarded those brands are in the west. Surely, spending a lot of money in a bike with the same brand as those millions of rusted bikes laying around on the streets play a factor too.

Up to 105 level and below, it is more common to see local brands.

1 Like

I always thought that was a result of the old “Made in Taiwan” deprecation thing. Heard giving a gift that is made in Taiwan is an insult lol, absurd!

Don’t see a lot of Giant’s in the UK actually, not a lot of retailers have them. Specialized is probably king out of my stratified sample, i’d say.

Those buying bikes around and below 50,000NT may only know Giant and Merida. It mostly known as the gateway drug when you enter the world of cycling. Ask anyone running around with a 300,000NT+ bike and they majority will tell you their first bike was a Giant.

That was the same with Japanese made stuff way back when. Taiwan seems to be going through the same growing pains :slight_smile:

To go back on topic. I think cycling is one of the greenest ways of transportation. Only walking is superior, but probably only for shorter distances (maybe skating and similars too).

Manufacturing bikes, on the other hand… I work in the industry and I have visited many factories. They’re not the cleanest spaces. Let’s be honest, one of the reasons everybody manufacture here is because of the lower costs, including environmental related costs.

So, try to avoid following the N+1 rule. Try to buy upgrades/new components only when it is really necessary, or at least sell/donate your replaced parts if they are still safe to ride, so someone can still use those. Just ride bikes and try to not fall in the consumerist maelstrom that we are trying to put you in. I know it is hard, I am outside of it just because of the shitty wages they pay.

1 Like

If you go cycling twice, the second time you’re technically re-cycling.

4 Likes

I agree for short distances and light loads. Lo.g distance/heavy loads vehicles are probably far more efficient based on fuel intakes of truck vs person compared to load delivered xyz distance.

But cycling for exercise probably less green given the amount of processed packaged thing people consume to go up a hill. Lets just be real and call it fun and healthy :slight_smile:

Agree to disagree. Since we are out on our bikes, we are unable to bring along containers for drinks/food, so we have to buy one time use food/drinks. In the car, you bring drinks/food from home and use containers.

There’s so many factors to it, but in the end, it’s hard to remotely try to even things out. However, I think in the long term, if you buy a bike and a car at the same time, use them on a regular basis, the bike should be more green than a vehicle as the vehicle travels further over time and also exudes gases during that time.

With the bike, most of the harm to the environment is done during its manufacturing phase and the perishables like bar tape and tires.

1 Like

Cars are also way harder and more expensive (in terms of CO2) to recycle.

Schwalbe Marathon tyres also last longer in terms of kilometres than the car tyres on most of the overpowered executive BMW type things you get as well. Car tyres aren’t recyclable either. Some bike tyres are biodegradable I believe? Could well be wrong with that statement

Cycling isn’t spotlessly clean but it’s as good as it gets in my opinion.

, nah my friend. We are agreeing. Just mentioning the aspect of leisure sports and efficiency on distance. The food/drinks consumed on a bike as you say, tend to be disposable related due to weight restrictions. If that is compared wih distance travelled cars likely win each time. But its a different purpose. Thats why you should of quote the end of my post: But cycling for exercise probably less green given the amount of processed packaged thing people consume to go up a hill. Lets just be real and call it fun and healthy :slight_smile:

Cycling, like hiking, camping road trips etc are all pleasur based. Just means sellfish wants, not.community inputs. This isnt is negative, jus got distinction…if a person in taipei want to go to kenting i would argue riding a bike is more net negative than taking a gas vehicle (train, bus etc) and perhaps debatable on sharing a car with people. Say a family. 4 people in car vs 4 bicycles downing supau and take out every couple hours. Just a fun thought experiment, nothing serious. Ibstarted wondering this after w tested out various machine operations kn farms vs hand labor and the amount of.carbon foot print and.waste created. It was just for shits and grins, but the machine won out on efficiency everytime by heaps.

Sorry, totally different scenario. I still think its fun to think about. If its commuting short distances, say under 30k, i agree bikes win everytime iver scooters/cars. 100k mountain trip with a few people, i doubt bikes win. But they are fun…so iits all good. For me this is why i try to at least limit. Buy the powder electrolytes rather than bottled 711 type sports drinks. Easy, effiicent, etter for my body and the environment. Win win… small steps make a big difference :slight_smile: probably your tire patch kits arent nearly as much pollution as the amount of food and drink packaging used on the same trip. Just guessing and thinking outloud.

2 Likes