How is living in Japan as a foreign family?

I work with older people mostly . Could be that. Could just be the specific business.
I’m not impressed though. Their working life seems horrible to me.

You probably saved a fortune :wink::yum:

Company expense …So no such luck.:wink:

I didn’t think they paid for thattoo

Some companies do ! Just drinking and chatting with the ladies …That’s the line.:grin:

Yes , I got that in Tokyo…supplier paid a fortune to sit and drink with girls. We would have been just as happy in a pub really .

1 Like

Good company! I would not even ask my company (I seldom go, only if working partner goes and prefer bar/pub ).

And your other comment older people, its to me older people everywhere seem less flexible, and more so in Japan where people follow the company rules and systems much more than Taiwan. I do find outside of Tokyo and people not working for a big company are lot more flexible and say friendly (common knowledge in Japan/non Tokyo people and it’s also like what many people(non Taipei) think about Taipei people outside of Taipei)

there is no other option for my older one, biblical school might be an option for my younger one. I’ve read mixed stories of good and bad.

Some Japanese I know prefer taiwanese work environment than Japanese.

From what I understand Taiwanese work culture is not quite as hardcore than Japanese or Korean. We’ve still had some people drop dead from overwork, but the number seems relatively smaller. As has been said before, it’s case-by-case basis. Some workplaces are more brutal than others.

I definitely wouldn’t be happy feeling obligated to work longer than 9-6 all the time. That additional hour already makes a big difference. It adds up to a lot of personal time at home lost and makes me even more conservative about how I spend my weekends. I’ve never appreciated it when people wasted my time before but now I tend to be a huge bitch about it.

3 Likes

I had a friend who went to an American high school in Japan. He developed a pretty low opinion of Japanese culture during that time. He just got a Japanese-American girlfriend and spent all his time with her, and she kind of led him around everywhere, so that probably insulated him a bit from whatever he might have otherwise experienced as an “outsider.”

He is also East Asian so it’s possible some people assumed based on his appearance that he was just a really quiet Japanese person.

Speaking of the work environment, when doing research I’ve seen the same trend in Taiwan and Japan: old professors go crazy if you dare question their opinion (pretty tough when your scientific background calls for questioning anything) or leave work before them, even if there’s nothing for you to do; while among the younger ones you meet people who are more likely to talk to you as an equal, consider your perspective and let you work your way, as long as you’re efficient.

I’ve been told something that reflects that about Japanese companies too: if you’re looking for a managerial structure that’s open to flexibility, look for young startups with fresh, young crews and senior with new ideas, rather than big corporations where people abide by the way things have been done for a thousand years. Don’t know your line of work so can’t say if you got the luxury of taking that into account when looking for a job.

it is kind of being “sent” by my original company, so I don’t have much choice. It may be a fairly big company and I migh not enjoy as much freedom as I do here.

One thing that might be positive is moving to Japan might weaken the weight of Chinese to my kids and relatively increase the weight of our native language. I’m not sure, though.

I’m curious to live in Japan peraonally, but with kids it is not an easy decision.

1 Like

Well, I AM Japanese American and lived there for 1 year as a salary-man with 2 kids. I still go back every year as my parents are now living there permanently.

Like any other country, how you would fit vary greatly on you and your family’s adaptability. As a child living in Japan, being independent and taking charge/being extra responsible is highly valued compared to other countries. If your kids are as such, they would excel.

If you are an organized person and appreciate rules, Japan is a paradise. Public transportations are always on time, stores are immaculately clean, and people are generally a lot more civilized in general. But on a flipside, that means you cannot be late, not even a minute. You have to absolutely clean up after yourself, back to how immaculate things were before you altered them, and be well dressed and well-groomed even if you want to go to a local convenient store. There are common etiquettes that you are expected to follow. You are also expected to be well-mannered, and your patience will be tested time after time. In Japan, patience is one of the highest virtue that people hold and even under unreasonable circumstances you are expected to be patient.

While Japan WAS generally xenophobic, I completely disagree with that idea today. Every summer I go back to meet with my family, and every summer I see an increased number of foreign families emigrate to Japan from countries around the world. They are all blending in at a record-setting pace. The only difference I see that is bit different is that they are trying very hard to learn Japanese and blend in like Japanese. And when they do, the Japanese will treat them like their own.

You also have to be generally apologetic and be humble even when you know it’s not your fault. This is one thing I really struggled with. It became a habit for me to to say “sumimasen,” (excuse me) or “gomen nasai”(I’m sorry) This is one of the main factors that I question because I’m contemplating about moving to Japan with my kids. Not sure if I want them to be socially molded by this notion.

The positive side, is tremendous. Japan is much more international when it comes to learning and family entertainment. World-class theme parks, amazing learning facilities and institutions for kids and adults alike, clean and innovative parks, amazing beach and nature, 4 distinctive seasons you can enjoy, incredible services across the board, one of the world’s best food, and list goes on.

When I go back to Japan each year, I realize how behind my kids are with their critical thinking skills and maturity. One example was when I went to a beach, 3-4-year-old kids were swimming into an open ocean without fear while my kids were watching with fear. I would take them into the water but they were quite scared. This might seem minuscule but I felt that these kids were not afraid to try new things, and they know that without trying they won’t learn -something I have been telling my kids religiously. Japan has that vibe for kids where they will be pushed to break new boundaries, so if that’s something you value it’s worth thinking about. Not saying that these are all positive traits, however.

Sorry for a long read. You can PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck! I’m going back early August for 10 days and am excited!

7 Likes

Good advice. I am also have ethnic Japanese background with relatives in Japan and many visits so I see the changes.

I feel if I were to try to emigrate to Japan (I do not know how I’d qualify… I’m not a Nobel Prize winning scientist or anything), I feel I will be severely rejected.

I’m not highly organized and while I am very punctual, I can’t bear the thought of having to dress in suit and tie just to go to a Family Mart. I am also not that “clean” because when I work in my shop I leave the tool where it is rather than spending hours to clean up… I imagine that would not sit well with other Japanese craftsmen.

It just feels like a society where I will be cast out in short order.

So what do you have to wear to go to a department store? A tux?

1 Like

This is a make or break for me. :sunglasses:

Flip flops are the only suitable attire for a 10pm beer run.

2 Likes

I had an interview with a Japanese startup here a little while back. For the second or third interview (can’t remember) with the Tokyo office, they were 20 minutes late for the video hookup. Just sayin…

One of the management team is Japanese. I get on fine with them but working there tends to give me the shivers. Difficult people to communicate with for one.
Love visiting Tokyo though !

flip flops are the only healthy attire for me in Taiwan because I have severe athletes foot on my right foot, and it gets much worse if there is any coverings on it at all, like socks or shoes. In drier or cooler climates they aren’t bad but Taiwan’s combination of heat and humidity brutal on my foot.