How is Taiwan different from China?

By way of background, I’m a licensed teacher who has taught in several countries, including China and, for the last two years, Taiwan. After finishing a two-year contract for one of the few IB World Schools here, I decided to take a break to complete a second master’s degree program before (hopefully) landing a position at an international school abroad.

In the meantime, I have been offered teaching positions at Taiwanese public schools, private schools, and cram schools, and I’ve been appalled at the lack of ethics that is openly on display. It’s my understanding that teaching kindergarten English is illegal, as is offering to sponsor an ARC for less than 14 hours of work per week, yet I’ve been offered both. I have friends who have taught at cram schools, and I’ve heard the horror stories. It’s amazing to me that every precaution one has to take when teaching in China seemingly applies to teaching in Taiwan as well.

So, how is Taiwan actually any different than China?

We don’t make tennis players disappear.
:man_shrugging:
:wink:
:taiwan:#1 :+1:

In all seriousness though, you have to sort through the bad to find the good when it comes to jobs, apartments, and decent pizza places here.

For every couple shady employers, there’s a decent one out there.

Your qualifications more than shield you from having to take any nefarious jobs here. Just ignore them and go for the better ones.

14 Likes

When I was China, foreigners were well received and enjoyed decent status in China. Now it’s pretty hostile towards foreigners with Chinese nationalism. And the myth of covid being from the west is widely accepted by the public.

Taiwan has some issue with foreigners bringing in the virus but I wouldn’t say hostile.

1 Like

With your qualifications, you shouldn’t be dealing with garbage employers.

Guy

2 Likes

Yes and no. I’ve had my share of garbage employers here and I am quite qualified as a teacher. (Well, I’d like to think so. I’m qualified on paper at least :joy:). I’ve been shocked by the number of times a school can get in trouble for the same (dangerous to the students) thing and still operate as usual, getting off with “a warning” nine times and STILL not changing anything. My current employer, for example… (thank you, by the way, to the Forumosans who have suggested places I could go to instead. I’m still waiting for the right moment to pounce)

That being said, I studied in China (never worked there), but I think there is far more blatant disregard for the rule of law in China than Taiwan. Here, it’s subtle, like “we didn’t see a big nose in the kindergarten when we stopped by after giving them two weeks advanced notice, therefore there isn’t a big nose working there!” In China, they basically show off their disregard of the law or the government makes an example out of you.

“We don’t make tennis players disappear.”

Haha, touche.

1 Like

I had the same experience in China, too. The people in Zhengzhou were incredibly warm and friendly. Still, Chinese recruiters and schools are notorious for deceitful business practices.

Likewise. I really enjoy living in Taiwan, but it’s discouraging to think that I might have to leave because (1) school salaries are not really competitive and (2) I simply don’t believe that most Taiwanese schools (public /private / cram) will honor contracts. There are exceptions, of course, like Taipei American School, but those are few and far between. Perhaps universities are a bit better?

1 Like

You don’t…like…have to teach you know. Unlike China’s ultranationalism, there are job opportunities for foreigners that don’t involve teaching.

1 Like

Universities are closing as they compete for a shrinking number of students, difficult to find a job without a PhD and the pay is lower than you can make elsewhere. There’s a thread you can check out

If you’re a licensed and experienced teacher with two masters degrees and significant international experience, I think you should proactively apply to the best schools in the country. Clean up your CV, make yourself presentable, and go for it.

1 Like

Most foreigners have left China because of increasing anti-foreigner sentiment and growing communist oppression. It has become much harder to live in China as a foreigner over the last few years. And China is not the place to be if you like Internet access.

Taiwan, on the other hand, is a flourishing democracy with freedom and unfettered Internet access.

2 Likes

TBF, there are way way more non-teaching jobs in China than Taiwan, and proper paying ones as well

3 Likes

Point taken, but differentiating between the two forms of government (communist versus democratic) is not really the point. My point is that, in terms of business practices, Taiwanese schools seem just as dishonest as the worst Chinese schools.

1 Like

Yes, and the legit teaching positions in China pay MUCH higher salaries than Taiwanese schools do. Taiwan really has never been a destination for international educators, and, after two years here, I now know why.

Well, not a problem right? Taiwan is not the only game in town. I hope you find something more suitable elsewhere.

Guy

2 Likes

True, but international education, which requires licenses and often advanced degrees, is a career, not simply a job. That’s kind of like suggesting a lawyer should become an engineer if there weren’t enough reputable law firms.

2 Likes

I am confident that I will, but I’m disappointed that I can’t find what I’m looking for here. I’ve grown really fond of the island, and was hoping to stay.

2 Likes

Thank you!

How different is Shanghai from Kashkar?

All of what you said has been signposted in literally thousands of posts on here .
So it’s really not a surprise right ?
Plus the ‘education market’ is a bit of a con job as far I’m concerned anyway . Mostly catering to very rich people and their spoilt kids. I don’t think that teachers teaching in their schools are making any special difference to humanity.

3 Likes