How long did it take you to adjust?

[quote=“Namahottie”]

I grabbed this from another expat’s website, called Expat jane. she lived in Korea for a bit of time.[/quote]

[color=#0040FF]That chart is very interesting.

Sometimes I find myself missing Ireland terribly. Of course, when I was there I was homesick for the US at times.

Off subject question…I’m sure this has been answered already but what vaccinations did you have before your arrival in Taiwan?

Anyone else want to share this?

I’m only getting the hepatitis A shot…[/color]

Those charts are always interesting to me because of the low levels of actual balance time in them. What’s the point doing it, if it will be largely shite? Didn’t go through any of those stages whenever I have lived abroad, really. I think it’s good to be aware of things like that, but your own internal resources are more important. If you are fairly independent, where you are won’t have a huge bearing on your emotional state.

Seriously, though, Taiwan’s no big deal, and though I don’t want to sound like one of those oldies who doesn’t know what it’s like for ze poor liddle newb, but honestly, it’s not the Congo or Amazonian jungle. You can buy whatever you need, and they are pretty well connected to ze world wide web to keep in touch with friends from back wherever, and also to network, initially.

Didn’t get vaccinations because I came on the spur of the moment, almost.

You’ll be fine. Now stop thinking about it and go and do something fun.

Love the ones yer with.
It’s really that simple.

I’ve been living in Taiwan for three years and I adjust very well. I am from a lost corner of Oregon, a city with manicured houses and pedestrian ways, but if you walk during the day chances are that you will only see one or two peoples walking on the streets every hour or so. Most houses are empty, people are working miles away. So living in Taiwan at the beginning was like living in Las Vegas, lots of people 24 hours a day, even more on weekends. I loved the feeling. The people are very nice, I love walking on the streets, buying soy milk, children running around, there is life here, even if the houses are shabby, ugly, no pedestrian ways in most places, but you see peoples, lots of them. When I went back to my city in Oregon, the loneliness was even more acute. Beautiful houses, empty streets again. I drove to the grocery store everyday just to feel like I was back to Taiwan for a little while.
So the adjustment depends on your personality, I like Asian cities, they are alive with people, not with beautiful landscapes. But getting a local guy to date you is a pain in the **** The guys here are very morose

How you’ll adjust is hard to say. Many people I know came over and were fine from day 1 with no problems. Other people did have a period of culture shock after a few weeks or a few months. Before coming over, I would google “Culture Shock” and read about it just so you know what to look out for and ideas on how to handle it when it starts to happen.

About 4 months into my trip, I ran into culture shock and hated it. I have been here for almost 3 years, though, and glad I came. If you get culture shock, realize it is temporary. Even if you’re not planning on staying long-term, just work through that time and realize it’s just going to have to suck for a while.

If you don’t get culture shock, fantastic!

[quote=“daisyhotkiss”]I’ve been living in Taiwan for three years and I adjust very well. I am from a lost corner of Oregon, a city with manicured houses and pedestrian ways, but if you walk during the day chances are that you will only see one or two peoples walking on the streets every hour or so. Most houses are empty, people are working miles away. So living in Taiwan at the beginning was like living in Las Vegas, lots of people 24 hours a day, even more on weekends. I loved the feeling. The people are very nice, I love walking on the streets, buying soy milk, children running around, there is life here, even if the houses are shabby, ugly, no pedestrian ways in most places, but you see peoples, lots of them. When I went back to my city in Oregon, the loneliness was even more acute. Beautiful houses, empty streets again. I drove to the grocery store everyday just to feel like I was back to Taiwan for a little while.
So the adjustment depends on your personality, I like Asian cities, they are alive with people, not with beautiful landscapes. But getting a local guy to date you is a pain in the **** The guys here are very morose[/quote]

[color=#4000FF]
Getting a guy to date me is the last thing on my mind. Too much trouble, when I’m trying to figure out my life path. But finding some friends to hang out with would be nice.[/color]

[color=#4000FF]But thank you everyone for the continual responses:)[/color]

There are a few friendly foreigners living in Sanxia, I’m one of them … not a teacher tho … BTW, what school did you sign up with?

Second that. If you have the money there is no product that you cannot get here. With the internet age, you can order about anything online that you want.

[quote=“Namahottie”]
And the irony of it all, the interviewer had lived and worked in China and Hong Kong for several years. Talk about snooty… :unamused:[/quote]
WTH? What kind of job are you looking for? I haven’t had an issue with that, but then I don’t list my work in Taiwan on my resume (it’s not relevant experience for me). When employers find out I lived in Taiwan they’re excited by it.

Actually we’re not talking to you… :laughing: Your question was answered 2 pages ago, anything more is just typewriter masturbation…

The only people really get along here as fish out of water are the people who were fish out of water at home.

The only people really get along here as fish out of water are the people who were fish out of water at home.[/quote]

Nah, you could also argue that normal people became fish out of the water for the rest of their lives by coming and living in Taiwan.

don’t adjust, just live!

The only people really get along here as fish out of water are the people who were fish out of water at home.[/quote]

Nah, you could also argue that normal people became fish out of the water for the rest of their lives by coming and living in Taiwan.[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: I agree with both!

Second that. If you have the money there is no product that you cannot get here. With the internet age, you can order about anything online that you want.[/quote]

Thirded. I was in Indonesia until I ran out of money then I came here. Got a job on day 7, started teaching on day 20, didn’t get my working permit in time and overstayed my landing visa, got my first month’s pay in advance to fly to Hong Kong and back, lived like an effing monk for a coupla months as a consequence but . . .

Now I’ve got a healthcare card, for Christ’s sake. I mean, come on!

(May I recommend Paul Theroux’s Riding the Iron Rooster or Redmond O’Hanlon’s Congo Journey to those wanting a more adventurous travel narrative.)

[quote=“Thelonlieste”]
)[/quote]

The healthcard. That’s main reason I want to come back.

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Thelonlieste”]
)[/quote]

The healthcard. That’s main reason I want to come back.[/quote]
It sure is tempting, although I narrowly avoided death as a matter of course when visiting the doctor. Thank god they write prescriptions in English! Ultimately I guess it’s just like crossing the street.

Sleepyhead, I’m curious about what you mean here. Do you mean that only social misfits will enjoy life in Taiwan? Do you mean that people who recognize the deficiencies of their own cultures will more readily adapt to Taiwan? Or is it none of the above but something else?

Sleepyhead, I’m curious about what you mean here. Do you mean that only social misfits will enjoy life in Taiwan? Do you mean that people who recognize the deficiencies of their own cultures will more readily adapt to Taiwan? Or is it none of the above but something else?[/quote]

I wasn’t inferring that all who live in Asia long-term are misfits, whackjobs, anti-social or disturbed in some way. But really, nobody’s normal except in their own mind.

However, of those whom I’ve seen that stayed in Asia for at least two years, very few were the sort who wanted/needed constant emotional support from large circles of friends or family. Near all are/were able to live here long term live/lived without it in any great amount. On the other hand, I’ve seen a few who jumped into quickie marriages (locals or other foreigners) just to get that sort of emotional stability.