How long do you stay in one company in Taiwan?

The average time I spend in a job in Taiwan is:

• Under six months
  • Six months to a year
  • A year to two years
  • Two to three years
  • Three to five years
  • Over five years
  • Work? Work is for the plebs, darling…

0 voters

So, how long have you lasted in each job you’ve done here? Are you still with the same company you were working for when you arrived twelve years ago or do you change your employment more often than your socks?

Good question.

My first job here was as an English teacher. I started at the end of December (officially) and I lasted till the end of the school year (End of June), so 6 months. I left because I wanted to get away from teaching though.

I’ve since worked in my current company for almost 2 years. I’d love to leave tomorrow, but my CV is full of one or two year stints here and there, and I desperately want a few longer ones, so potential employers back home don’t think I’m going to be a waste of time. That said, I’ve told myself that I CAN leave once the two years are up, but I’d really like to last at least 3.

Taiwan police, please deport me. I am changing my job often without ever changing my work permit.
And I am sleeping with a married woman here.

:blush: … ah yes, I tried this before. Nobody cared.

I just started my 11th year at my current place of employment last month.

I’ve been at my current job for about one month now, and I’m not sure how long I can stick it out. The Bosses! Man and wife, what a pair of hardasses. “What? I should be ON TIME? I need to do MY job? I should ENJOY working there?” :noway: It’s all a bit much. Maybe it’s time to duck beneath the radar, go back to being a cog in a larger machine where they won’t keep pressuring me with stuff like, “Hey! How’s it going?” as soon as I walk in the office.

Seriously though, as a cog, I’ve put in a year here and there before moving on to greener pastures, but part of that is due to the duration of previous stays in Taiwan.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I’ve been at my current job for about one month now, and I’m not sure how long I can stick it out. The Bosses! Man and wife, what a pair of hardasses. “What? I should be ON TIME? I need to do MY job? I should ENJOY working there?” :noway: It’s all a bit much. Maybe it’s time to duck beneath the radar, go back to being a cog in a larger machine where they won’t keep pressuring me with stuff like, “Hey! How’s it going?” as soon as I walk in the office.

Seriously though, as a cog, I’ve put in a year here and there before moving on to greener pastures, but part of that is due to the duration of previous stays in Taiwan.[/quote]

Oh yes, small company and then a couple as bosses, she the dragon, him more soft, like good cop and bad cop. And those Monday morning meetings. Yes, I did not find a hostel for the business trip yet. No, I am not lazy, missus, it is just you do not want to pay the rent whenever I find one.

Yes I did this and that, no you do not need to explain the subject of my job on which I did spend most of my adult life on to me.

OK, so the xxx for 90 USD reseller price is not to expensive. OK I was only dreaming there are cheaper ones for 60 USD in the market. OK OK you know best. Yes our colour is nicer.

Good I hand the highly specialized resellers over to your favourite, Mrs. ZeroKnowledge.

:stuck_out_tongue: I better stop now :frowning:

One year; then eleven years and four or five years concurrently.

Before I came here I was at the same place for six years.

Here? Two years at the first school. Six months at the next and I’ve been a year at the current school and will be renewing my contract.

I like stability… :wink:

I did three contracts for the same school then I quit. The grass seemed greener next door. It wasn’t, I wish I never quit. There was a reason why I stayed there for three contracts, it was a good school. I am legally teaching for two schools at the moment and I also do a few more classes elsewhere. In the process of renewing my ARC at the moment.

I stuck with my ARC school but I never put up with bullshit elsewhere. I worked for many other schools, the odd class here and there but I like organised schools. If the school is disorganized, I usually do a couple weeks and I just quit.

I helped a lady who got run over on a bicycle last week on my way to work. I think she’s dead, a SUV rolled right over her. Anyways, I was late by 5 minutes because of it. I called to let them know I’d be late. 5 minutes late, I walked in and started telling them about this difficult experience I had just lived. The boss didn’t let me finish and interrupted me with" Tell me another time, you’re already late." I replied" no worries, I’m only telling you about someone who died in front of me today" and walked away to my classroom. I hate that school.

bobepine

[quote=“bob_honest”]Taiwan police, please deport me. I am changing my job often without ever changing my work permit.

:blush: … [/quote]

Your name’s not bob_honest for nuffin’ methinks!
:smiley:

[quote=“TaiwanSaffies”][quote=“bob_honest”]Taiwan police, please deport me. I am changing my job often without ever changing my work permit.

:blush: … [/quote]

Your name’s not bob_honest for nuffin’ methinks!
:smiley:[/quote]

I also hit her frequently!

But she enjoys it.