How long till you met your Taiwanese SO's parents

Sometimes it takes some time before you meet abroad until you can meet the relatives back in Taiwan, so 3 year+ for us.

However, my mother met my wife just a few days after we met. (grammar?)
She seemed to approve at that time, and love her more and more…

Tomorrow. I wasn’t nervous until this:
SO: “Do you need to prepare anything?”
Me: “What?”
SO: “Nothing.”
Me: “Am I supposed to prepare something?”
SO: " No, never mind. You don’t need to prepare anything."

This society is rather obsessed with gifts. Am I supposed to bring them a gift? And if so, what? Not a clock, I guess.

[quote=“kage”]Tomorrow. I wasn’t nervous until this:

This society is rather obsessed with gifts. Am I supposed to bring them a gift? And if so, what? Not a clock, I guess.[/quote]
Yes, it’s better that you go to visit them with a gift.

I don’t know what older people would like, but I think it is safe to bring them the thing that appears in this commercial. The slogan means health is the best gift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bhBojjoTTE

good luck

Why is Kate’s name orange?

Anyway, take oranges. The ones that cost much more than is sensible. The shop will wrap.

You’ll be fine.

[quote=“kage”]Tomorrow. I wasn’t nervous until this:

This society is rather obsessed with gifts. Am I supposed to bring them a gift? And if so, what? Not a clock, I guess.[/quote]

Prepare two sets of gifts. The first should consist of fruits, sweet breads, and generously filled hongbao. The second to consist of four items: a clock, a bundle of white flowers, an umbrella, and a green hat. Give the first set if things go well, the second if the meeting sours.

First wife 5 months, second wife 3 months.

First time they were happy, second time some misgivings, but not aired in front of me.

[quote=“Gao Bohan”] generously filled hongbao.[/quote] I hope you are pulling my leg. :astonished:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am off to the shops. Do you think honey is appropriate?[quote=“kate.lin”] I think it is safe to bring them the thing that appears in this commercial. The slogan means health is the best gift.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bhBojjoTTE[/quote] Haha. I am off to find the thing! :laughing:

[quote]good luck[/quote] Thank you, Kate.

(Kate is orange because she is special. She is a film buff. You can be special, too, with one easy clock of the mouse, you can be a part of (the movie club). I like to think I am special too. Green means you are into animal welfare, and light orange means you like to head for the hills. (you are also welcome to join the hiking club). There are other colours, too. Don’t invoke their wrath. (just kidding)

delay as long as possible - so would recommend only just pre-marriage

very rarely can good come of it

Meet them only if you are fairly serious.

That is definitely good advice!

This is better advice.

[quote=“kage”][quote=“Gao Bohan”] generously filled hongbao.[/quote] I hope you are pulling my leg. :astonished:

Thanks for the suggestions. I am off to the shops. Do you think honey is appropriate?[quote=“kate.lin”] I think it is safe to bring them the thing that appears in this commercial. The slogan means health is the best gift.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bhBojjoTTE[/quote] Haha. I am off to find the thing! :laughing:

[quote]good luck[/quote] Thank you, Kate.

(Kate is orange because she is special. She is a film buff. You can be special, too, with one easy clock of the mouse, you can be a part of (the movie club). I like to think I am special too. Green means you are into animal welfare, and light orange means you like to head for the hills. (you are also welcome to join the hiking club). There are other colours, too. Don’t invoke their wrath. (just kidding)[/quote]

Just saw all this. Follow kate’s advise. Call Patty if you need more. Both are sensible women who know enough of tradition to advise you properly though they probably couldn’t be bothered to follow it themselves. :slight_smile:

Wow, it went really well, I think.
I was given this huge watch by SO. Not the most auspicious start to a lunch with his folks, (I said).

Thanks for the advice. I headed out to heed it, but I wound up giving some fancy honeys in a nice wooden box. It seemed smaller and more compact than a big box of fruit (they had taken the train in for the meeting), and I ran out of time to look for the thing in the commercial. Might still have a look for it when I get the chance. Thanks again, especially for the suggestions and well wishes. I am so glad that is over with. Don’t need feel nervous about this impending meeting.

He told his parent about me when we were 3 months in a relationship but his parents against me because I have a son, then we still continue the relationship and told me he will marry me, I even offer him to live with me in my country if things wouldn’t work out, for almost 4 years in a relationship he broke up with me saying He cant give me love in the future.he still following me in social media! I cant read what is in his mind, give up many things from him but he cant do it for me!

I don’t want to be a Debbie downer but you probably have to move on.

I had a local friend that was dating various Taiwanese girls but they didn’t meet his moms exacting standards for marriage. But he wouldn’t man up and say so, instead he kept dating them until one day his mom found him a girl that did meet her standards because her family was well off as she was. He then ghosted all the other girls he was leading on and married the one that his mom set out for him. He is unhappy in the marriage but hey, at least he kept his mom happy and his inheritance intact.