How long until life returns to normal?

• 1-2 Months
  • 6-8 Months
  • 1 Year- 18 Months
  • 2-3 Years
  • Never

0 voters

Never.
Society will not return to what it was before, imo.
Coronavirus is a supply shock (workers sent home, production much lower).
When governments in the near future begin to spend at much GREATER levels than before the global lockdowns, there will be much more money trying to buy fewer goods and services.

I hope you realize what then happens.

5 Likes

It depends on what you consider “normal”.

If you are asking - how long until this pandemic is over - I guess three months. If you’re asking how long until the effects of the pandemic are reversed - we’re talking maybe years.

A lot of businesses will go bankrupt - especially some that are too big to fail. However, I don’t think this will be the collapse of civilisation. Scenarios like these have been modelled before. It’s not like nobody ever asked themselves…

“Hey, what if a virus outbreak infects the entire world and how do we deal with this?”.

5 Likes

Curious @Dr_Milker why do you think only 1-2 months? I envy your optimism and pray you’re right!

1 Like

I was going to say three, but it wasn’t on there. Pandemics tend to peak and play out pretty fast. The economic fallout, I think, will take a bit longer to work itself out (up to a year?), but I predict that it won’t be as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Call me an optimist. :grin:

7 Likes

May I say that you’re a dreamer? But you’re not the only one?

5 Likes

Sure, but I hate that song. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think we all do after watching Gal Gadot and her fellow cabin-fevered celeb friends belt out their cover of it. :nauseated_face:

Jeez, don’t remind me. Trying to stay upbeat here…

Herd immunity! Herd immunity!
I really enjoy hearing this one now. Every time one of the ‘experts’ suggested that this was the way to go, I found this very insane and undemocratic.
Now, when anyone comes up with it, which happens seldom lately, I agree and suggest starting with the children first, since they seem to have the best outcome. Also they are the wildest spreaders.
You should see their faces, after I suggested that one. Still, if the politicians like Trump and Johnson are going forward with it, this would be the way to go.
Just my opinion and I am against it!

I want to be optimistic and say 6-8 months. When I say normal, I’m thinking in economic growth and somewhat stable market. Since I’ll be looking to get a job in around that time period, I hope it does return to normal during that time for me.

How long do you think until air travel will be normal again? I think all our summers are f***ed… maybe by August they might have limited travel between “safe” countries (eg: Taiwan to Singapore, but can’t travel to Europe or USA), but I just can’t envision it right now.

2 Likes

I think mid to late july. Maybe August. That is my hope at least because I need to return to Taiwan and move to London in August.

1 Like

Things haven’t been normal for a really long time already…

2 Likes

Let me know where you found all that tinfoil to buy that hat lol

1 Like

what’s so funny?
you ever studied basic economics?

Actually I have a masters in economics, and Coronavirus is not going to change the way of the world after a couple months. Thanks for trying though.

1 Like

good that you do.
still doesn’t change the fact of a supply-side shock followed by massive amount of demand in the form of cash directly in the hands of consumers with production (supply) now weakened.

1 Like

Reckless spending and tax cuts and massive costs of the trade war w China will exacerbate this.

1 Like

For the next couple months? The world won’t crumble, get out of your bunker and relax. The world is still spinning and people are still living.