How many days to leave the country after ARC is cancelled?

Let’s say my ARC is cancelled by my employer on the 9th of April. How many days do I have to leave the country? I’ve heard both 10 and 14 days. Would 14 days from the 9th (ie, the 23rd) be a reasonable day to aim to be out by? I recently moved, so won’t get the letter when it’s been cancelled.

Sorry can’t remember - think its 14 days. But a couple of points… (things have changed a bit since my ARC was cancelled about 18 months ago).

A couple of points:

1. The letter might well not be sent to your address anyway - mine was sent to my employer for forwarding to me. (Great isn’t it…? Its like they’re responsible for getting you out!)

2. The police (though I think its not them anymore) might still not cancel you in time for the 14 days expiry.

In my case, I left Taiwan before the deadline. I returned a couple of weeks later expecting a 30-day visa-exempt entry - but couldn’t get this because they said my re-entry permit and ARC were still valid. I showed them the letter, and said I wasn’t returning for work - just a couple of weeks on my way back to London. They wouldn’t have it - said they’d just have to stamp me in the usual way and said I was worrying unnecessarily. (Yeah right! What if the paperwork was processed the next day - I could be overstaying!) Went to the Foreign Affairs Police who said they hadn’t got around to processing the paperwork. They were happy to extend my stay for as long as I wanted.

OK, I believe its not the Foreign Affairs Police these days… but if you need more time an extension seems relatively easy to get.

[quote=“london-boy”]Went to the Foreign Affairs Police who said they hadn’t got around to processing the paperwork. They were happy to extend my stay for as long as I wanted.

OK, I believe its not the Foreign Affairs Police these days… but if you need more time an extension seems relatively easy to get.[/quote]The new Immigration Department may well have different policies on this stuff. Best to check in advance if possible.

Thanks guys, you’ve been helpful. I think I’ll only be around for a few days anyway now.

Thanks again

I am in the same situation. exactly.

My employer informed the immigration (?) that the end of March was my last day, but my school is so big that I couldn’t get a clear answer or find out who did and what day. Anyhow I’ve also heard both 10 days and 14 days. Does that mean I can have a new school apply for me within that 10 or 14 days and I’ll be fine and can stay in country?

Where is this new immigration office?

Question about health check. I last did the health check September '06 for the job I just left. Now that I’m looking for a new school, even though health checks are valid for only 3 months, I heard the gov’t only needs it done once a year. Is that same for when you are leaving your school early and going to a new one, inside of that new year? Or new school = new health check, regardless of how short the time is? So in short, new school making an application for me means I must have a fresh health check, or do I still fall within the one year timeline?

Thanks for any answers of the 3 questions above.

[quote=“fallon_78”]I am in the same situation. exactly.

My employer informed the immigration (?) that the end of March was my last day, but my school is so big that I couldn’t get a clear answer or find out who did and what day. Anyhow I’ve also heard both 10 days and 14 days. Does that mean I can have a new school apply for me within that 10 or 14 days and I’ll be fine and can stay in country?

Where is this new immigration office?

Question about health check. I last did the health check September '06 for the job I just left. Now that I’m looking for a new school, even though health checks are valid for only 3 months, I heard the gov’t only needs it done once a year. Is that same for when you are leaving your school early and going to a new one, inside of that new year? Or new school = new health check, regardless of how short the time is? So in short, new school making an application for me means I must have a fresh health check, or do I still fall within the one year timeline?

Thanks for any answers of the 3 questions above.[/quote]You need a new health check for a new work permit, unless the old health check is within the three month limit.

I don’t think either 10 or 14 days is enough to get yourself sorted out. I suggest going to the immigration office to ask their advice. Don’t ask at information – take a number and wait to speak to someone. If you have a new employer lined up already then that could help your case should you need an ARC extension.

The new immigration office is in every city in Taiwan. Are you in Taipei City? The Taipei City office is at 15 Guangzhou St, Zhongzheng District.