How many laws have you broken in Taiwan?

Seeing as so many folks accumulate problems associated with Visas and such, I am just curious if anyone is willing to fess up and confess any particular minor crimes and miscreancies during their years living in the ex-police state of Taiwan.

Of course, we all know that it is pretty easy to break the law here – without knowing it… I wonder, let’s see, I think I have broken at least 5 or 6 laws, and sometimes up to 3 on one day! I am somewhat recalcitrant to list them here, however…

ppppppppooooppppoooo

Do you count traffic violations?

If not, I’d say about 5. If you count traffic laws then add another 10 or so.

Brian

Well REALLY! Why, the very idea!

They have traffic laws in this country? :shock: :laughing:

Sorry for the shocking subject line, but my Chinese boss thinks “foreigners are here to escape laws”. He cannot understand what we are doing here.

Carrying an open beer in a public place, accepting bribes from parents of my students and riding a scooter without a license. I narrowed it down to lunch time today to 9pm this evening.

You should tell him he’s talking shite – some of us are here to forget, because we’re not French or tough enough for the Foreign Legion… :unamused:

riding a scooter without a licence
riding a scooter on the wrong side of the road (I’m from Australia!)
riding a scooter that doesn’t belong to me (it belongs to an American who left here long ago)
riding a scooter after having a few glasses of wine (but I wasn’t pissed)
riding a scooter through many red lights
riding a scooter well over the speed limit
riding a scooter on the pavement
riding a scooter well over the speed limit ON the pavement :laughing:
riding a scooter through the parks because it’s quicker (sorry about the grass)

I did most of these today… well, actually, I’ve been doing all of these since I came here o_O

but I think we’re all guilty of these little… uh… mistakes?.. :laughing:

I’m still waiting for the parents with bribes to come in :smiley: that one sounds good :laughing:

How about jaywalking? I do that at least a dozen times a week. It’s just too dangerous sometimes to cross at the CROSSwalk.

Da_Bian, ah… so it’s people like you who make life for people like me a misery, yes, I have been knocked down and hurt many times by people doing those things.
Are you by any chance related to Chen Shui “Vote for me if you don’t want to wear a helmet” Bian ?

I know of a few foreigners, who have broken the law on marital infidelity.

However, I usually stick with running red lights, talking on my cellular when driving, speeding, hitting pedestrians etc.

your boss said that? i thought all foreigners were just here for the girls and the $

Broken laws count so far = at least 20
If you think I’ll fess up to what they are - NO WAY!

I’ve been accused of breaking the laws of nature a few times

i got pulled over in Keelung for going to slow on a freeway once, just warned though.

i got taken to jail in Hualien once (an overnighter) for being at the wrong place and the wrong time… released the next afternoon, tired and edgy…but none the worse for wear…

i forgot to pay my taxes one year…

i made too much money one year…

[quote=“On Valentine’s Day Mr He”]I know of a few foreigners, who have broken the law on marital infidelity.

However, I usually stick with running red lights, talking on my cellular when driving, speeding, hitting pedestrians etc.[/quote]

What? You mean there is a law in Taiwan that there must be marital infidelity? :laughing:
Did Josephine Ho lobby for that one?