How might dual citizens be affected in the event of a successful invasion?

Yeah… IMHO if China invades Taiwan then in the best case scenario all non-Han folks here will be “politely” asked to get the f… out of here and China will not give a damn about citizenship or permanent residency etc. which is gonna be revoked based on ethnicity.

In the worst case scenario they will set up a camp with “ 勞動帶來自由” over the entrance gate…

In none of the scenarios I see a chance for non-Han people to keep Taiwanese citizenship/exchange it to Chinese. Even now in the times of peace China’s immigration policy is extremely strict already…

You know if a Taiwanese gets Chinese citizenship, their Taiwanese one is revoked automatically. They don’t do this for any other country.

I think what’s more likely is a variant of one country 2 system, like we have now, only it will become official. I don’t think war is going to happen. It’s going to be bad for the whole world if it does.

Yes, that is a worst-case scenario.

I also wonder about almost-worst-case scenarios. Things like arbitrary imprisonment, arbitrary seizure of assets, or arbitrary fines for citizens who, for whatever reason, are deemed to be undesirable (for instance, having been associated with the wrong kind of people). Though it’s difficult to predict this kind of thing, do you think that arbitrary imprisonment/asset seizure/fines would be real risks? I guess I’m wondering if China would at least make some effort to preserve the existing societal structure and stability, or if they would instead bulldoze everything to the ground, exterminate any possible troublemakers, and rebuild society from scratch. I don’t know so much about Chinese history, but that little that I do know has me concerned…

I think they’re not gonna make the Indigenous stateless…

Why? That’s not how it works in China. Nowhere in the Chinese Nationality Law is ethnicity mentioned. It’s not Nazi Germany.

Yeah they will probably treat them same as other minorities in China now
Still I see huge gap between Indigenous folks who lived here for centuries and naturalized westerners who weren’t even born here…

Two main points:

One: China considers it has jurisdiction/power over all Chinese people, all over the world, as it has stated in law and propaganda. It cares about race/bloodlines.

Two: China does not care about a piece of paper from other countries. It was humiliated 100 years, revenge on colonialists, etc ad nauseam.

Based on these two points:

If Heaven forbid they take over Taiwan, dual citizens my… foot. If they define you as Chinese, probably by the 1/16 bloodline tradition, then you are, according to them, and hence fall under their foot.

If not, if you are lucky, you will lose all your local assets and be thrown behind the border…which is the sea, so start practicing swimming.

Who will complain? The UN? The International Court of Human Rights? If China takes over Taiwan, all is lost.

1 Like

Well, tell that to Uyguhrs…

1 Like

Sure, because that’s exactly how it works with Chinese Americans in China who have never held Chinese citizenship. They are given free Chinese hukou automatically upon proof of bloodline, given open work rights without question, and may join the PLA if they wish.

Care to respond to my main point?

Indeed. It was also sort of implemented here in Taiwan, where you could argue your ancestors were citizens of ROC and hence you were entitled to special treatment like scholarship and sweet spot at the university.

Kind of like the famous gold bar if you defected from the Commies. Freedom fighters!

Problem is when China demands all Chinese people all over the world to pay the debt of loyalty to their country and obey the authorities they send abroad to keep an eye on them from their own little police stations in the heart of foreign countries.

What point? You think in case of China invading Taiwan and most likely also being in the state of war with US and rest of the “western world”, they will give a slightest damn about stuff like immigration laws? Or any laws at all?

“Yes mr foreigner, although we’re in the state of war with your home country, but the ROC which we never recognized anyway gave you citizenship so yeah I guess we’re cool and you can stay here”

Nope.

We’re talking about a hypothetical where China is already successfully ruling over Taiwan, so presumably the war is over. We can’t predict what will happen, so we are basing our answers here on how things currently work in China.

Currently, foreigners naturalized as Chinese citizens do not “get kicked out”. Where would they even go? They’d be stateless without their Chinese citizenship, given that the PRC requires them to renounce their original citizenship, like Taiwan does.

No. I was being sarcastic. That doesn’t happen. You cannot naturalize as a Chinese citizen unless you live in China for a period of time as a permanent resident first, in which case anybody can naturalize and it’s not based on DNA testing of your genetics.

The other way to naturalize quicker is to have immediate family members who are already Chinese citizens (regardless of their ethnicity) which is exactly the same rule as most other countries including the USA. It doesn’t work if the family members are ethnically Chinese but not Chinese citizens.

Yes, why don’t you tell me all about Chinese Americans who have never set foot in China and whose parents and grandparents and great-grandparents have never set food in China, being demanded to obey Chinese authorities in those little police stations?

The question is are there even any foreigners (westerners, not ABCs or people from HK) naturalized in China?

From all I’ve heard it’s close to impossible to even get permanent residency in China let alone get naturalized…

Anyway, China coming here would mean WW3 has started. In that case I’m taking the first possible transport back to my home country regardless of the situation there. War bring out the worst out of people and I don’t want to test China’s hospitality :wink:

Of course. Why wouldn’t there be?

The requirements vary from region to region, and most have to do with living here for a certain number of years, and education/professional qualifications. None require Chinese ethnicity.