How might dual citizens be affected in the event of a successful invasion?

Hi everyone, I’m curious about the potential scenarios for dual citizens of Taiwan, for example, someone holding both US and Taiwanese citizenship, in the hypothetical situation where there is a successful invasion of Taiwan.

I’m interested in understanding the political perspectives on the fate or status of such dual citizens - would dual citizens be revoked their Taiwan passport or be asked to renounce their non-Taiwan citizenship?

Your insights would be much appreciated

I’d imagine that the people who couldn’t get out on the dark blue ones would attest to only ever having the green one and bury the blue one in the back yard.

1 Like

Good question.
There’d also be the factor that many of the males would have been called into the reserves before it happened.

Everybody would be revoked of their Taiwan passport, and be given new PRC ones.

For dual citizens, I’d imagine there would be exceptions to the current PRC Nationality Law for Taiwan, like there is with HK and Macau. Even if someone’s citizenship is revoked, they’d probably receive permanent residency if they already had hukou here.

No, they don’t even do that in China. Depending on how you acquired both citizenships, they either revoke your PRC citizenship or they just don’t recognize your foreign one.

1 Like

A successful invasion of Taiwan would need a massing of tens/hundreds of thousands of troops on the Chinese coast. It would be on the news constantly for weeks .

Hypothetically, you’d buy a plane ticket and fly away, your luggage full of snacks and dried fish for relatives in LA and Seattle or wherever your other passport let you into.

1 Like

OP doesn’t live in Taiwan, so he won’t need to worry about that. But his hypothetical dual citizenship would still be affected in the event of a successful PRC invasion of Taiwan.

1 Like

Ah, so if he is already in LA, and China takes over? Would he be able to bring snacks and vitamins into New China Province #23?

1 Like

For PRC Citizens, if they get ex: Canada citizenship, does PRC know they got the citizenship and then request a certification of renouncing their Canada citizenship to keep their PRC? I am curious since I heard some PRC citizens have held two passports.

A “successful invasion” of Taiwan would be a terrible catastrophe for most of the 23 million people living here and probably involve the deaths of thousands of innocent people… possible some on this forum. Don’t you think it comes off as just a little self-serving that your only concern if the status of of dual citizenship? I know you said “hypothetical situation” but 99% of the forum members live on Taiwan and (mostly) care about it.

5 Likes

Agreed, the boundaries of decorum are blurred online.

We live here, OP. You’re worried about what exactly? Visa free entry?

I’ve thought about this, so appreciate the question. Assuming PRC is the invader, I expect they’d have to give citizenship to all citizens of Taiwan. I personally would hold both passports until I’m told I have to renounce one of them. Having two passports is useful.

1 Like

Therw would be no Taiwan ROC citizenship in that case, it’s a nonsense question since China considers Taiwan a province of China.

No, and no.

In this particular scenario, if you moved abroad and IF they somehow find out you naturalized as a foreign citizen, they will just withdraw your Chinese citizenship.

In some other scenarios, for example if you’re born in the PRC and automatically became a dual citizen at birth, they will simply not recognize your foreign citizenship. They will not withdraw your Chinese citizenship.

1 Like

Hopefully they are drafted into the ROC Armed Forces!

I’m not sure it would be good for you.

If china invades Taiwan it will almost certainly mean war between china and the us.

Means us citizens are enemy in the eyes of Chinese.

1 Like

But draft age males would probably be stopped on exit. I think that’s what happened in Ukraine and Russia.

Think they’d just set up internment camps for the U.S. citizens?

More likely sole US citizens will be asked to leave with some degree of assistance from AIT (along with other foreign citizens), and dual citizens will just be treated by both the PRC and ROC as regular Taiwanese (assuming they do not leave or are unable to leave).

1 Like

So long as the Canadians were segregated, I think it would be alright.

2 Likes

No chance we will be in camps.

The Americans will be offered a flight out by their government.

The Brits will be told to fend for themselves by theirs.

And the Canadians will be offered MAID.