How much can you be sued for for defamation or public insult?

So, theoretically, how about using the language other than English or Chinese?

Right. That’s true too. But I can also use it as an adjective safely too.

Wonder how the courts decide a “count”? Is it every utterance ever, is it once for that incidence, over some window? If he does win in court, can I say f-f-f-f you again for the same thing without double Jeopardy?

他媽的 works though, FWIW. “他媽的食物”, “別他媽的騙我”. I can imagine it anyway.

1 Like

Right, but it’s his mother’s, not ‘fucking’. That’s why the cops had trouble with it.

His mother’s food as an insult sounds hilarious. I’m gonna use that.

1 Like

GoogleTranslate disagrees. Swears, like much of language, often don’t translate literally.

That’s right, but unless you know both languages well, how can one make such a connection intuitively?

I don’t understand. Are there people who speak Chinese who think the phrase means “don’t his mother’s lie to me”? Or are you making a legal point that the Taiwanese wouldn’t prosecute under public insult laws for using “tamade”?

It’s not a 1:1 translation so I don’t expect them to understand ‘fucking’ the same way as Ta Ma De.

And since they were presented with something new, they did due diligence and looked it in their laws and dropped the charges when it became apparent it was not an insult.

Is 肏你媽 an insult or a suggestion?

Let’s use this version to avoid the lawsuit

操你的馬

If i call someone a “franken mother trucker “is that a punishable offense?

Afaik, a direct insult.

My non law literate logic is this

You asshole / You are an asshole = lawsuite

You dont need to be an asshole = grey area

Only assholes act like that = safer grey area

Are you an asshole? = genuine question i am seeking information about

I have a friend that acts like this, he is a real asshole = flawless victory

I guess that makes about as much sense as the rest of Taiwan law.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd: :happy_frog:

I really don’t understand the high moral horse that so many Taiwanese sit upon when it comes to swearing. My guess is they don’t really understand how swearing is used in most Western societies. That whole lost in translation aspect to it. Taking the words quite literally as they are translated rather than the emotion or inference associated with it.

My mrs is like this. Always harping on me about how I speak. But how I speak at home (and while using the roads) is very different to how I speak when I’m at work. Then again if you piss her off she’ll go berserk hurling all kinds of insults at you. In Hokkien no less.

1 Like

+1

Legally speaking I think you get a pass for that.

1 Like

Luckily my wife doesn’t know Hokkien. My insults are in Cantonese.

1 Like