How much can you be sued for for defamation or public insult?

It’s funny but I’d say more than half of people who find out I can speak Hokkien say “I won’t be able to swear at you.” My stock answer is “Why do you want to swear at me?” with a hurt look

1 Like

I remember seeing this insult fine list in Forumosa before, but I can’t find it now, so I’m reposting anyway:

Source
I wonder if they have a similar list for insults in english…

1 Like

it doesn’t matter here is Taiwan.

4 Likes

Yes, like in that Adele song. (Don’t trust Urban Dictionary, in this case.)

I changed the thread title because this is more about public insult than defamation.

1 Like

Well true , but the young uns also swear non stop here “Kau Bei” * 50 per day.

I can totally relate to someone dropping the f word in a fucked up traffic situation here. My reading is though once you get down to swear words, or abusive language, you’ve kind of lost the interaction. It just gets really nasty at that point, and people like to fight dirty. As evidenced with our Aussie friend referenced in the above article. These days I just use simple Chinese for ‘stop’, ‘red light’, and ‘people are crossing the road’. But delivered at such high volume, and with such forceful projection, that last time I said it, probably about a week ago, all pedestrians, and all customers of the cafe and breakfast place opposite, had eyes trained on me. It draws attention to the, I don’t know, shithead idiot in the blue truck, or the stony eyed rich prick in the black SUV, who is running the red light at least. I’ve got more patience for pushy turning traffic, as they typically have some asshole up their rear who has the expectation that the vehicles ahead will bomb straight through the zebra crossing. I have zero patience for morons running red lights, and I absolutely let forth when it happens.

This doesn’t make any sense to people who can’t read Chinese.

I agree. Causin people loss of face and embarrassment is agreat way to get them to stop.

Its the pricks that honk at pedestrians crossing on the crosswalk that get my panties in a bunch. Taxis are horrible. I sometimes think they have deals with police as to not get tickets…i cant see how the majority hold a license. And i have seen their schols and testing…they are supposed to be held to a higher standard.