How much money did you earn/lose this CNY?

How much money did you, your spouse and kids earn/lose this CNY? In our family, we have to give 2000 to all siblings, cousins, nephews and nieces younger than us, 12,000 to each parent and 6000 to each grandparent still alive. In total we gave away just under 65,000, and got back about 12,000 in red envelopes for our daughter, and 4000 for us from my wife’s parents. A rather unprofitable year, but better than last year when we only got back 4000 and had to give away even more.

3 Likes

Nil on both sides of the ledgers.

The wife’s family had a falling out and had two different CNY events. So we did the only logical thing and didn’t attend either. The wife worked and I cleaned the house.

19 Likes

How lucky you are.

Absolutely nothing.

No work during CNY so I’m earning zero. Got money coming but a whole lot of “thinking about it” and “administrative processing” without firm timeline. No red envelope to give but I’m not getting any either.

Gave out 7000, received 5000.

You are really not selling the whole marriage thing very well :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

NT$6k to my housekeeper, none to me.

gave out 8800 and got back 3600 :smiley:

12k to each parent each year? Holy hell. I always thought the custom was that older people give to younger people, not the other way around?

1 Like

You need to give to your parents if you are working.

According to my wife, 12,000 is one the low side.

Do the parents still give to you, too? So you’re just swapping cash?

Yes but they will give you less.

In our house at least.

There is no freaking way the average Taiwanese can afford to give 12,000. Not when wage here is so low. Maybe if you work for TSMC as a higher level engineer and you get over 100k in end of year bonus… but most Taiwanese don’t see that much.

When my wife was working, she used to get the equivalent of one months salary as an end of year bonus, and she would use that money to give as red envelopes, but it wasn’t always enough.

I think she should just be Taiwanese and say that she isn’t getting much from work and that you gotta raise a baby and all that. I mean in the parent’s days they got slightly less than what we got today but cost of living was much, much lower.

I’m pretty sure you never got any end of year bonus from teaching english either, especially if you worked less than a year. In the states we got quarterly bonuses, it was proportional to the average amount of hours worked each week, but it came out to about the same as 1 month’s wage when you add it all up.

Similar for our family. It was less when we were younger, and probably very little when we were first married–many, many years ago. And more now. But our kids get loaded up with cash from the relatives at Christmas.

Hmm

Wife’s dad 98,000
Wife’s mom 138,000
Three nephews 2800/each
Three dogs 1800/each

Got back one envelope from wife’s dad, didn’t bother counting but guess it was around 10k based on thickness

Sweet Jesus, I didn’t know Taiwanese in laws were so expensive. I hope there’s some inheritance coming.

What do the dogs spend their cash on?

1 Like

If I recall correctly, it is impolite to immediately unwrap the gift (count the cash) in Chinese culture. How about Taiwan?

out 70k
in 3k

:money_with_wings:

(I might get some more today)

2 Likes