How much should non-teachers be able to earn?

New blog post from All Hands Taiwan discussing salary expectations for junior non-teaching positions. Are the 10- and 15-year-old opinions in the archives here on Forumosa still how people feel, or is there a bit more optimism out there now?

https://allhandstaiwan.com/2018/12/03/the-great-debate-how-much-should-you-earn-in-taiwan/

Outside of the public sector I really don’t understand people asking what they should earn. Surely people get what they are worth and what they can negotiate?

2 Likes

People still ask what they can earn from teaching, so why not other industries? In my experience, the questions aren’t about how to get what people are worth, but (read the article) more often about what to expect from pay outside of teaching as teaching generally pays more than most junior professional roles here.

Where in the article does it say what non-teachers should earn? Other than the, incorrect, minimum wage for foreign workers or the suggestion than 60k is an acceptable wage.

If the legal minimum for foreign professionals has changed from NT$48,000, please share a link to the relevant info.

The point of the article isn’t to declare what non-teachers should earn, it’s about giving information to people who don’t know what to expect outside of the teaching market.

Fair point, I’m being a pedant.

1 Like

Who’s getting hired off the street outside of the teaching market?

Who’s getting hired off the street in the teaching market?

Who’s getting hired off the street?

Who’s getting hired on the street?

5 Likes

Well seems this article to answer questions only created more questions

At no point does this article say that it intends to answer questions.

In Taiwan, if you’re a professional, then the boss knows it. The catch is this. If you know how to speak and command a conversation, then you can create your own salary. Any professional boss will know you can go off on your own and make millions if you truly are professional, so they give in and pay to keep you around.

Learn to play the game “young people”. But also learn to sadle up, salary isn’t a charity, gotta earn it…

2 Likes

Truth be told. It is the same in the States, really.

Allow me to provide you with an anecdote. Take me, someone in STEM who has never taught a real life English class in his life before an interview at a nationally competitive Enrichment School for focused subject studies. I come in and request interview, to which the only laoban (he’s a Hanguoren in a predominantly Chinese neighborhood, please allow my frivolity). Clearly, he is wondering why on Earth someone like me is worth the discussion. As he threw compatibility questions at me, I understood the position he tried to assume for me – basically at his mercy to get the job – but I have had many interviews and have yet failed, so I was not going to give in. Turned it around to explain why I am in fact more than capable (qualified) than the average teacher he hires, and in very explicit ways.

Ended up requesting a salary notably higher than what he pays everyone else teaching in the room (and they were listening, in fact) and he [had no choice but to] accept my request. Funny how that works.

You’re completely right in that, as long as you appear and express yourself accordingly, a professional boss will go in-ways and out to take you in (or keep you, for this matter).