How much to replace mosquito screens? Who/Where?

A cowboy just quoted me NT$1,500 for the cheapest netting to be put into an 8 foot by 3 ft frame; NT$500 for a 4 ft by 3 ft. :loco:

How much should I be paying? I’m pretty sure the local guy (who hasn’t been for a while) charged NT$150 for the bigger ones.

Iron or plastic? Plastic, way too expensive. Iron is OK, IMHO.

A slice that big should have a reinforcement bar in the middle. Is he including that?

Plastic is fine. The bars are already in the frames. All I want done is the cheapo netting to be cut and put into the frames I already have.

I’m interested in finding out about this too, as we need to replace quite a few nets due to holes in the them.
That seems quite expensive though, so hopefully someone has some better options to share.

I’ve paid up to 600 for iron, never that much for plastic. Is he doing any additional stuff?

I can give you guys the number of a nice couple who rides by every weekend by our neighborhood…

I have the number of someone who lives locally; I’ll let you know what he charges.

In the meantime, I’m going to price the materials needed to do it myself, which may be more hassle, but could save me a fair penny, methinks.

Dragonbones II? :astonished:

Oh well, it should be pretty straightforward, and as you say, it’ll save quite a bit of money. It is just fitting the frame.

If they’re the modern aluminium frames, then all you need is a box cutter. Buy the screen and a few metres of the white rubber rope stuff that you wedge the screen in place with. Its so easy to do, even EYE have managed to not make a total cock-up of it.

Just in case any of you just need to patch a hole or two, you can buy patches in dongxi shops. They’re like a few inches by a few inches, look just like normal netting and are stick on. Definitely not a very professional option, but nice and cheap just for a patch-up job.

Really? I’ve got the old wooden frame jobbies that are a pain to refit. Plus, there’s only a few wee holes in them. That sounds like an ideal solution.
Irishstu has a bit of use in him! Who knew?

Really? I’ve got the old wooden frame jobbies that are a pain to refit. Plus, there’s only a few wee holes in them. That sounds like an ideal solution.
Irishstu has a bit of use in him! Who knew?[/quote]
I did.

Irishstu has a bit of use in him! Who knew?[/quote]
I did.[/quote]
I meant AFTER you had finished with him.

Even less professional (but what I did after a mouse chewed its way into my kitchen): buy, beg or steal a scrap of mesh, and just glue or sew it on (or both) over the hole.

If you do it yourself, one of these is very handy…

I have one, so I’ll redo your screens for free if you come around to my place.

I just shoved it in with a chopstick. Worked fine.

urodacus, many thanks, but the screens are too big for my car. Much appreciated, though!

Besides, your car won’t make it all the way to Okinawa.

1 Like

Mosquitos are animals too.

those wheels are under a hundred NT at BnQ. Very useful because every home I move into, I pull out the rubber on one side, and half the bottom of the net, so the dogs can squeeze through, and I always replace it myself. BnQ has all the different netting too

[quote=“Stray Dog”]A cowboy just quoted me NT$1,500 for the cheapest netting to be put into an 8 foot by 3 ft frame; NT$500 for a 4 ft by 3 ft. :loco:

How much should I be paying? I’m pretty sure the local guy (who hasn’t been for a while) charged NT$150 for the bigger ones.[/quote]

$1,500 NT!!!
That’s about ten times what it will cost you to do it yourself. And it’s really easy, like Sandman says.
Go to B&Q or to a local mom and pop hardware store and pick up the netting, the rubber cord–if the ones in the frame are in poor condition–and have a go at it.
You’ll have it sorted in no time. Plus, you’ll save enough for a round of drinks. :laughing: